Kentish Town man guilty of kidnap after stealing car with two children inside
- Credit: Archant
Martin Cawley, currently of no fixed address but originally from Kentish Town, pleaded guilty at Wood Green Crown Court to kidnap, child abduction and aggravated taking and driving away.
On the afternoon of July 2, a 27-year-old woman left her two children - a 12-year-old girl and a baby boy - in her car while she went into a shop in Kempe Road, Enfield.
Cawley then got in the car and drove off at speed.
The terrified girl escaped by throwing herself out of the car and into the road, while her 11-month-old baby brother remained in the car strapped in his car seat.
On seeing her car drive away with her baby son and with her daughter lying in the road, the panic-stricken mother immediately called police.
You may also want to watch:
The baby was later found unhurt on the doorstep of a house in Cheshunt in Hertfordshire.
The girl was treated for minor injures, but she did not require hospital treatment.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
Cawley was identified as the suspect and arrested on July 19.
The prosecution said he was high on drugs when he stole the car.
He was remanded in custody for sentencing on October 14.