Kentish Town man guilty of kidnap after stealing car with two children inside
- Credit: Archant
Martin Cawley, currently of no fixed address but originally from Kentish Town, pleaded guilty at Wood Green Crown Court to kidnap, child abduction and aggravated taking and driving away.
On the afternoon of July 2, a 27-year-old woman left her two children - a 12-year-old girl and a baby boy - in her car while she went into a shop in Kempe Road, Enfield.
Cawley then got in the car and drove off at speed.
The terrified girl escaped by throwing herself out of the car and into the road, while her 11-month-old baby brother remained in the car strapped in his car seat.
On seeing her car drive away with her baby son and with her daughter lying in the road, the panic-stricken mother immediately called police.
You may also want to watch:
The baby was later found unhurt on the doorstep of a house in Cheshunt in Hertfordshire.
The girl was treated for minor injures, but she did not require hospital treatment.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 4 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 7 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 10 Home of the Week: Refurbished three storey, five bedroom family home for sale in Finchley
Cawley was identified as the suspect and arrested on July 19.
The prosecution said he was high on drugs when he stole the car.
He was remanded in custody for sentencing on October 14.