Kentish Town man guilty of kidnap after stealing car with two children inside
- Credit: Archant
Martin Cawley, currently of no fixed address but originally from Kentish Town, pleaded guilty at Wood Green Crown Court to kidnap, child abduction and aggravated taking and driving away.
On the afternoon of July 2, a 27-year-old woman left her two children - a 12-year-old girl and a baby boy - in her car while she went into a shop in Kempe Road, Enfield.
Cawley then got in the car and drove off at speed.
The terrified girl escaped by throwing herself out of the car and into the road, while her 11-month-old baby brother remained in the car strapped in his car seat.
On seeing her car drive away with her baby son and with her daughter lying in the road, the panic-stricken mother immediately called police.
You may also want to watch:
The baby was later found unhurt on the doorstep of a house in Cheshunt in Hertfordshire.
The girl was treated for minor injures, but she did not require hospital treatment.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
Cawley was identified as the suspect and arrested on July 19.
The prosecution said he was high on drugs when he stole the car.
He was remanded in custody for sentencing on October 14.