Kentish Town man charged after attack on Sun journalist
- Credit: Archant
A 35-year-old man from Kentish Town has been charged with GBH after a journalist was left in critical condition following an attack.
James Flanagan, of Marsden Street, was remanded in custody to appear before Thames Magistrates’ Court on Saturday.
It comes after Gary Carter, a freelance rugby league reporter who works for The Sun newspaper, was found outside Bethnal Green station in the early hours of Friday morning.
The Met Police say they were called to an altercation between two men shortly before 1am.
Mr Carter, 36, suffered a serious head injury and remains in critical condition. His wife tweeted: “Pray for my husband #rflfamily.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Carter was said to have travelled down to London from Manchester on Thursday to report on Saturday’s England vs New Zealand rugby league game at the Olympic Stadium.
A number of well-wishers have sent messages of support, including ex-footballer Alan Shearer who tweeted: “Best wishes to @garyCarter_1979 for a full recovery after suffering an awful attack last week.”
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 5 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 6 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 7 Ozil set for Arsenal exit
- 8 More goals, less mistakes needed says Spurs boss Mourinho
- 9 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 10 Letters: Local business, vaccination, Abacus and The Ponds
Following England’s defeat to New Zealand, national coach Steve McNamara said: “The England team sends its best wishes to him and his family and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.”
A 22-year-old man was also arrested in relation to this incident for affray towards attending ambulance crew. He has been bailed to attend Bethnal Green Police Station at a date in late November.