Jailed for life, butcher from Lewisham who raped woman in Camden Gardens off Kentish Town Road
- Credit: Archant
A butcher who attacked and raped a woman in Camden has been sentenced to life imprisonment.
John William O’Neill, 29 of Yeoman Street in the Surrey Quays area of Lewisham, South London, was sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on Tuesday. He will be eligible for parole after five years.
He pleaded guilty last month to one count of rape and two counts of assault by penetration, appearing via video link at the court.
O’Neill carried out the attack in Camden Gardens off Kentish Town Road just after 11 pm on Sunday June 4. His victim, a woman in her 40s, had been out to meet a friend in Camden High Street earlier in the evening. After leaving the pub, she walked homewards along Kentish Town Road; O’Neill attacked her after she turned into Camden Gardens.
Her attacker was arrested on 6 June and charged after appearing at Westminster Magistrates Court.
You may also want to watch:
“O’Neill carried out a sustained and brutal attack on his victim in the street,” said Detective Constable Devina Myrie, the investigating officer from the Central North Command Unit’s Safeguarding Investigation Team. “He is a dangerous offender and the life sentence handed down today reflects the risk he poses to public safety.
“The attack has had a profound effect on the victim. She has greatly assisted the investigation and shown immense courage throughout. She continues to be supported by specialist officers.
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 7 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 8 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
“I would like to thank officers within the Safeguarding Investigation Team at Holborn for their commitment and dedication to the investigation, which helped secure this conviction.”