Islington teen murdered in Camden for ‘tit-for-tat’ gang killing
- Credit: Archant
The murder of an Islington teenager in Camden was a “tit-for-tat” gang killing, a court heard.
Alex Smith, 16, was fatally stabbed in Munster Square on August 12 last year shortly after 11pm.
Inner London Crown Court was told on Tuesday (February 5) that the murder was a "targeted" attack following a dispute between Camden gangs from the Regent's Park and Agar Grove estates.
Arif Biomy, 19, of Wickham Lane, Plumstead, denies murdering Mr Smith.
Yusuf Yusuf, 19, of Sandwell Crescent, West Hampstead, denies two counts of assisting an offender.
Prosecutor Brian O'Neill QC said Biomy and Yusuf were associated with the Agar Grove gang and were "well-versed in its methods, its beefs and its feuds".
Mr O'Neill described the murder of Mr Smith, who had moved to Wembley but grew up in Islington.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 3 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 4 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 5 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 6 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 7 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 9 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 10 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
The prosecutor said: "Just after 11pm, two vehicles pulled up outside 8 Longford Street, three males got out of the cars and ran into the premises.
"They were clearly looking for someone. One of these males was holding a large knife or machete. One of the three males had been in the Seat Leon driven by Biomy, the other two had come from the Ford Fiesta.
"Shortly after this the Cumbo gang members (from the Regent's Park estate) who had been in Nando's appear to have been spotted again. Another chase ensued both on foot and by car.
"Alex Smith was pursued on foot by the three from the Agar Grove group as he ran towards Munster Square. He was then stabbed to death on the doorstep to 10 Munster Square."
Mr O'Neill said the Cumbo gang was targeted by the Agar Grove group, which hunted down Mr Smith with "fatal consequences". On May 19 last year, Biomy was stabbed in St Pancras Way, nearly losing his life.
An eyewitness report from Longford Street was read to court, which described someone saying "there he is" before three males, one with a machete, chased a boy into Osnaburgh Street, towards Munster Square.
Another resident heard someone say "help me, help me", before he found Mr Smith bleeding outside his home as the attackers scarpered.
Mr Smith was pronounced dead at the scene having been stabbed at least twice, including once fatally to the chest, and once to the back.
The trial continues.