Hunt for sex attacker who preyed on sleeping women on Northern Line tube
- Credit: Archant
Police are hunting a sex attacker who preyed on two sleeping women on a tube between Camden Town and Finchley Central.
The two friends, both aged 24, fell asleep shortly after getting on a train at Camden Town at around 6.45am on Saturday August 15.
Detective Con Andy Parkinson, of British Transport Police’s sexual offences unit, said: “Two women boarded a northbound Northern Line train at Camden Town station. They sat next to one another and, shortly after the train departed, both fell asleep.
“A short time later, a man approached one of the women and sexually assaulted her as she slept; only stopping when her friend woke and intervened. At this point, he touched the second woman inappropriately before getting off the train at Finchley Central.”
The women, one from Barnet, and one from Essex, immediately reported the incident to police.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives have released CCTV images of a man they want to speak to and are appealing for the public’s assistance in identifying him. Det Con Parkinson added: “We need to speak to the man pictured as a matter of urgency, as we believe he will be of great assistance to the investigation. He may live or have connections in East Finchley. If you recognise him, or have any further information, please get in touch with BTP or Crimestoppers.
“This was understandably an incredibly frightening experience for the two women and something nobody should have to experience. I would like to assure the public we are doing all we can to catch the person responsible and bring them to justice through the courts.”
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
Anyone with information is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 405040, or text 61016, quoting reference T/B3 of 02/09/15.
Information can also be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.