Highgate shop owner warns burglary has left business on the brink of collapse
A Highgate trader said his business has been pushed to the brink of collapse after thieves swiped thousands of pounds of cash and stock.
Thieves are believed to have prised open the metal shutters of the Highgate Plus grocers in Archway Road, before smashing open the glass door and crawling into the shop.
Owner Adhir Das, 50, who rushed to shop when the alarm was raised at 5.30am on Sunday morning, said he was “devastated”.
“It is very upsetting, it has pushed my business to the brink,” he said.
“They took all my Saturday night takings and I am going to have to get a loan from the bank to cover it
You may also want to watch:
“I am going to have to cuts the hours my staff work and I’m not paying myself – I owe all the money to the bank.”
The father-of three, who bought the shop eight years ago, said he wanted to set up business in Highgate because it was a safe. But the break-in has made him reassess.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 9 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 10 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
Anyone with information is asked to call Haringey’s burglary squad on 020 8345 0886 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.