Highgate shop owner warns burglary has left business on the brink of collapse
A Highgate trader said his business has been pushed to the brink of collapse after thieves swiped thousands of pounds of cash and stock.
Thieves are believed to have prised open the metal shutters of the Highgate Plus grocers in Archway Road, before smashing open the glass door and crawling into the shop.
Owner Adhir Das, 50, who rushed to shop when the alarm was raised at 5.30am on Sunday morning, said he was “devastated”.
“It is very upsetting, it has pushed my business to the brink,” he said.
“They took all my Saturday night takings and I am going to have to get a loan from the bank to cover it
You may also want to watch:
“I am going to have to cuts the hours my staff work and I’m not paying myself – I owe all the money to the bank.”
The father-of three, who bought the shop eight years ago, said he wanted to set up business in Highgate because it was a safe. But the break-in has made him reassess.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
Anyone with information is asked to call Haringey’s burglary squad on 020 8345 0886 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.