Highgate shop owner warns burglary has left business on the brink of collapse
A Highgate trader said his business has been pushed to the brink of collapse after thieves swiped thousands of pounds of cash and stock.
Thieves are believed to have prised open the metal shutters of the Highgate Plus grocers in Archway Road, before smashing open the glass door and crawling into the shop.
Owner Adhir Das, 50, who rushed to shop when the alarm was raised at 5.30am on Sunday morning, said he was “devastated”.
“It is very upsetting, it has pushed my business to the brink,” he said.
“They took all my Saturday night takings and I am going to have to get a loan from the bank to cover it
“I am going to have to cuts the hours my staff work and I’m not paying myself – I owe all the money to the bank.”
The father-of three, who bought the shop eight years ago, said he wanted to set up business in Highgate because it was a safe. But the break-in has made him reassess.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 3 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 4 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 5 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 6 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 7 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 8 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 9 Hampstead woman tells tribunal of alleged racist discrimination
- 10 'The law isn't important to us': Car tyres deflated by activists in Camden
Anyone with information is asked to call Haringey’s burglary squad on 020 8345 0886 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.