Hampstead police chase: Cops use ‘stingers’ in dramatic north London pursuit
- Credit: Archant
A dramatic police chase brought Hampstead Village to a standstill this afternoon.
Police used 'stingers' to take out the tires of a car they were chasing and a suspect even rammed a number of Scotland Yard vehicles, this newspaper understands.
Hampstead Village Voice editor Sebastian Wocker was in Hampstead High Street. Although he did not see the start of the chase, he saw what happened next. He told the Ham&High: "He rammed about three police cars. It was a major chase."
"They are not sure here where it all ended up. I presume around Whitestone Pond. He went off up Heath Street."
A member of staff at the Coffee Cup, outside of where the chase happened told this newspaper: "I didn't see it myself. Everyone was rushing in. they said thare was a helicopter. I just saw the police car stood outside."
You may also want to watch:
It is not known whether the suspect has yet been apprehended.
Another witness, Mr M Friedman, was in a car ahead of the chase. He said: "I have never seen anything like it in my life. I saw lights behind me and then I saw the police coming in front of me.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 4 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 5 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 9 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
- 10 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
"I thought it looked funny. Then I turned back and saw a black Porsche and realised it must be a police chase."
He added: "I saw the policeman getting a stinger out of the boot. To my knowledge it didn't look like they got him. "He kept driving up the road and turned right, I think."
This story is being updated. Did you see what happened? Contact Sam Volpe on the newsdesk using 02074330120 and Sam.Volpe@Archant.co.uk