Hampstead moped chase: Pair arrested after high-tech police pursuit involving DNA spray and tyre sting
- Credit: Archant
Two teenagers were this evening being held by police following a high-tech moped chase across Hampstead.
The boys, both 17, were arrested yesterday evening in Agincourt Road and Mackeson Road. It came at the conclusion of a pursuit involving DNA spray, dog units and a helicopter.
The drama began when cops spotted two people riding a scooter in Pond Street they believed was stolen. They tried and failed to stop the pair, who sped across the Fleet Road junction before mounting a pavement and heading towards Cressy Road in Hampstead.
But when the scooter was caught in a police sting and its tyres let down, they abandoned it and ran off. Officers managed to spray them with DNA tagging spray during the sting.
Police arrested two teenagers nearby a few minutes later on suspicion of aggravated taking and driving away, dangerous driving and driving with no insurance.
You may also want to watch:
They believe the chase was linked to a scooter theft late on Sunday night when a delivery driver had his vehicle taken while dropping off food in Maitland Park Road.
Cmdr Julian Bennett said today: “Police are working hard to keep the public safe and make the streets hostile territory for criminals who steal scooters, mopeds, motorbikes and bicycles and then use them for other offences.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 6 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 7 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 8 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 9 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
“Our policing activity to tackle scooter related crime is making a difference as evidenced here, particularly using a range of new technologies including slim-line motorcycles, DNA spray and automatic tyre deflation devices.”