Police urge Hampstead Heath visitors to take care after 8 robberies in a fortnight
- Credit: Archant
Local police are warning Hampstead Heath visitors to take care, particularly in secluded areas and after dark, after dealing with eight robberies in the past fortnight as lockdown eases on the Heath.
Three individuals alleged to have been involved in these incidents have been arrested. Two boys have been charged with offences relating to possession of a knife or bladed article.
Sgt John Hounsell, ward sergeant for Hampstead Town and Highgate, made a statement saying police were aware of “concerns and fears” over a recent increase in robbery, and wanted to “hopefully allay concerns and also outline our policing response”.
Sgt Hounsell said: “There have been eight robbery offences reported in the last two weeks in, and immediately close to Hampstead Heath. The victims are nearly exclusively teenagers. Physical violence was used in one of the offences, and a knife was used in one other. The rest involved threats and intimidation.”
He said the police were working reactively to investigate the robberies and proactively to show a “visible response” to the issue.
You may also want to watch:
The officer added: “We want officers to be seen in key areas to deter would-be thieves. Suspicious individuals have, and will be challenged.”
The two young men charged are both under 18 and are set to appear in court later in June.
- 1 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 2 Builders finish first block in controversial Hornsey Town Hall development
- 3 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 4 Camden's £50k Covid-19 fall in house prices bucks north London trend
- 5 Camden Covid-19 vaccine bus comes to JW3
- 6 'Antisemitic abuse was aimed at me because of my kippah' says faith leader
- 7 Hampstead Heath memorial to the band of brothers who fought fascism
- 8 Highgate residents challenge plans for 'intrusive' 16-metre 5G mast
- 9 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 10 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
The third person arrested was detained on suspicion of handling stolen goods and robbery, he has not been charged with an offence at this stage.
Sgt Hounsell also moved to urge caution, saying: “We would advise young people to avoid the more secluded areas of Hampstead Heath – especially in the later hours. We also advise people not to challenge or antagonize thieves who demand property as this could provoke violence.
“Try and contact police as soon as possible and remember exactly where you were on the Heath when the incident happened so we know where to look for the offenders.”
In Autumn 2019 the local police used “covert” means to deter would-be muggers on the Heath after 21 robberies took place during August and September.
Have you noticed an increase in crime on the Heath, or been a victim yourself? Contact Sam on sam.volpe@Archant.co.uk or call 07785616237.