Hampstead Garden Suburb and East Finchley named in UK’s top five burglary hotspots
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Garden Suburb and East Finchley are among the top five burglary hotspots in the UK, according to new research.
Analysis of 3.1million home insurance quotes obtained via price comparison website Moneysupermarket.com in the last year found the N2 postcode, including part of the Suburb, East Finchley and Fortis Green, had the fifth highest rate of home insurance claims for burglary in the country.
The research shows that over the last 12 months, 34.5 burglary claims were made by N2 residents in every 1,000 home insurance quote enquiries.
This placed the postcode - which also includes The Bishops Avenue, known as “Billionaires’ Row” - in fifth place on a list of the UK’s top 20 burglary hotspots, with Chorlton-cum-Hardy, in Manchester, topping the list with 45.2 burglary claims per 1,000 home insurance enquiries and Muswell Hill, in Haringey, in third place (40.9 per 1,000).
Kevin Pratt, home insurance expert at Moneysupermarket, said: “Places affected by higher rates of burglary insurance claims tends to mean higher annual insurance premiums for those who live there, typically premiums are 24% more expensive on average. Higher value properties could expect to pay even more than this.
You may also want to watch:
“If you have not previously been burgled, but there are higher rates of burglary claims made within your postal district, you are likely to be paying steeper premiums as a result.
“Insurers often take a blanket approach to assessing postcode districts for home insurance premiums rather than looking at insurance applications on a case by case basis.”
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 3 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 4 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 5 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 6 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 10 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley