Hampstead families terrorised by masked gunmen
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Terrified residents are calling for increased police patrols in an exclusive Hampstead street where masked gangs with guns carried out two attacks in a week.
In one incident, mother Maeve Lamont was at home with her young child in Redington Road when raiders smashed through the front window of her house with a brick and crow bar at around 3:38am on Tuesday morning.
She described how she locked herself and her child in the bathroom and waiting for police who took 12 minutes to arrive.
This follows reports of another armed robbery at an upstairs flat in the same converted house in the early hours of Sunday morning when two men wearing balaclavas are said to have threatened a woman with a gun.
Police described how on Sunday at 3.25am a 24-year-old woman was robbed by two men wearing balaclavas in Redington Road.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: “The victim was approached by two men. One man pointed an object at her chest, which the victim believed to be a firearm. The victim began to scream and one of the men snatched a rucksack from her, both men then ran off towards West Heath Road.
He said the victim was not injured, but was left very distressed.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 3 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 4 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 5 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 6 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 7 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
Both men were wearing black balaclavas and dark clothing.
The first man was described as 6ft 5ins and of very slim build
The second man was described as 5ft 9ins and also of very slim build.
Detective Constable Adele Joyner of Camden CID, said: This was a terrifying ordeal for the victim. We would ask anyone who may have heard her cries for help, or seen anything suspicious, to contact police and help us catch these men.”
Ms Lamont said police had not contacted her since the incident at her garden flat.
She said: “I have not been contacted by the police yet. I had to call for my crime reference number yesterday, I am totally shocked by the “relaxed” attitude the police have regarding this crime- the second to my house in three days.”
Frognal and Fitzjohns Safer Neighbourhood Panel chairman Jessica Learmond-Criqui was horrified by the attacks and has written to the borough commander Richard Tucker.
She writes: “We are all scared up here and need concerted action to find these criminals. Can you let me know what you will do about catching these people please? They pose a great danger to the residents of this ward.”