Hampstead families terrorised by masked gunmen
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Terrified residents are calling for increased police patrols in an exclusive Hampstead street where masked gangs with guns carried out two attacks in a week.
In one incident, mother Maeve Lamont was at home with her young child in Redington Road when raiders smashed through the front window of her house with a brick and crow bar at around 3:38am on Tuesday morning.
She described how she locked herself and her child in the bathroom and waiting for police who took 12 minutes to arrive.
This follows reports of another armed robbery at an upstairs flat in the same converted house in the early hours of Sunday morning when two men wearing balaclavas are said to have threatened a woman with a gun.
Police described how on Sunday at 3.25am a 24-year-old woman was robbed by two men wearing balaclavas in Redington Road.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: “The victim was approached by two men. One man pointed an object at her chest, which the victim believed to be a firearm. The victim began to scream and one of the men snatched a rucksack from her, both men then ran off towards West Heath Road.
He said the victim was not injured, but was left very distressed.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
Both men were wearing black balaclavas and dark clothing.
The first man was described as 6ft 5ins and of very slim build
The second man was described as 5ft 9ins and also of very slim build.
Detective Constable Adele Joyner of Camden CID, said: This was a terrifying ordeal for the victim. We would ask anyone who may have heard her cries for help, or seen anything suspicious, to contact police and help us catch these men.”
Ms Lamont said police had not contacted her since the incident at her garden flat.
She said: “I have not been contacted by the police yet. I had to call for my crime reference number yesterday, I am totally shocked by the “relaxed” attitude the police have regarding this crime- the second to my house in three days.”
Frognal and Fitzjohns Safer Neighbourhood Panel chairman Jessica Learmond-Criqui was horrified by the attacks and has written to the borough commander Richard Tucker.
She writes: “We are all scared up here and need concerted action to find these criminals. Can you let me know what you will do about catching these people please? They pose a great danger to the residents of this ward.”