Hammer-wielding robbers snatch £40,000 Rolex watch from man on Hampstead street
- Credit: Archant
Police are hunting hammer-wielding thieves who snatched a £40,000 Rolex watch from a man in Hampstead.
Officers are appealing for information and witnesses after the robbery in Redington Road between 11.15pm and 11.30pm on Friday, September 20.
A 42-year-old man and a 40-year-old woman were approached by two suspects who, it is believed, followed them on a motorcycle.
One of the suspects, referred to by police as “suspect one”, ran towards the man with a hammer and demanded his watch and wallet. Fearing for his safety, the man removed the watch and handed it over.
At the same time, the second suspect, referred to as “suspect two”, ran at the female victim and grabbed her forearms, but she managed to escape his grip and ran up the street screaming.
You may also want to watch:
The suspects then returned to the black motorcycle and made off towards Frognal Lane with the watch, which was made of white gold with a dark blue face and is valued at £40,000.
Suspect one has been described as a 5ft 9in male. He wore a black motorcycle jacket with a white stripe, black trousers, black “workman-style” boots and had a black motorcycle helmet on.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 6 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 7 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 8 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
Suspect two is described as a 5ft 10in man, aged in his early 30s, wearing a light coloured motorcycle helmet with a dark jacket and dark trousers. He had white trainers on.
Det Con Steven Colclough said: “This was a very frightening attack on a couple by suspects who are clearly intent on causing terror to innocent members of the public. I urge anyone who may have heard the commotion or who may have seen the altercation to contact police.”
The robbery follows a spree of similiar jewellery muggings carried out by two male suspects in Hampstead between May and July.
Anyone with information is asked to call police in Camden on 101 or anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.