Gospel Oak: Police officer to face trial after allegedly smashing suspect’s car windscreen
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A police officer allegedly caught on camera smashing a suspect’s car windscreen and sawing it with a blade in Gospel Oak will stand trial.
Joshua Savage, of Wanstead in East London, is accused of common assault, possession of a bladed article, and criminal damage to a windscreen.
The 27-year-old, who is on restricted duties with the Met following the alleged incident on September 16 last year, entered not guilty pleas to all three counts.
Savage, who stood in the dock at Southwark Crown Court today wearing a grey suit with a light blue shirt and dark blue tie, spoke only to confirm his name.
Footage, which was widely circulated online in the wake of the incident, appeared to show Savage smashing a car windscreen during a stop and search before sawing it with a blade.
You may also want to watch:
The video, filmed by the driver, allegedly shows the officer launching the confrontation in Vicar’s Road in Gospel Oak.
Savage will appear at the same court on December 18 for trial.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 3 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres