Gospel Oak man admits sexual assault after groping woman on Tube train
- Credit: Getty Images
A man has been placed on the sex offenders’ register after he was caught groping a woman on the Tube.
Abdus Salam, 30, of Mansfield Road, Gospel Oak, was arrested on November 8 last year after British Transport Police officers spotted him inappropriately touching a 19-year-old woman on an Underground train.
The plain clothes officers were on patrol at Victoria station where they spotted him acting suspciously, walking up and down a platform looking at female passengers. They followed him onto a train where the incident occurred.
He was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday (May 24) after pleading guilty to sexual assault at an earlier hearing.
He received a suspended two year jail sentence, a 12 month supervision order and was placed on the sex offenders’ register for five years.
Pc Thomas O’Regan, the investigating officer, said: “I’d firstly like to commend the victim for providing an excellent account of what happened and for assisting the police at every stage, which was vital to securing the prosecution of Abdus Salam.
“BTP officers were suspicious of Salam as he was not behaving as a regular passenger. He was clearly watching female passengers who were on the platform and so the officers followed him.”
- 1 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 2 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 3 Fire brigade extinguish St Pancras station electrical fire
- 4 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 5 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 6 Cirque du Soleil: Luzia Royal Albert Hall ****
- 7 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 8 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 9 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 10 Haringey 'virtual parking permits' to tackle blue badge thefts