Gospel Oak man admits sexual assault after groping woman on Tube train
- Credit: Getty Images
A man has been placed on the sex offenders’ register after he was caught groping a woman on the Tube.
Abdus Salam, 30, of Mansfield Road, Gospel Oak, was arrested on November 8 last year after British Transport Police officers spotted him inappropriately touching a 19-year-old woman on an Underground train.
The plain clothes officers were on patrol at Victoria station where they spotted him acting suspciously, walking up and down a platform looking at female passengers. They followed him onto a train where the incident occurred.
He was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday (May 24) after pleading guilty to sexual assault at an earlier hearing.
He received a suspended two year jail sentence, a 12 month supervision order and was placed on the sex offenders’ register for five years.
You may also want to watch:
Pc Thomas O’Regan, the investigating officer, said: “I’d firstly like to commend the victim for providing an excellent account of what happened and for assisting the police at every stage, which was vital to securing the prosecution of Abdus Salam.
“BTP officers were suspicious of Salam as he was not behaving as a regular passenger. He was clearly watching female passengers who were on the platform and so the officers followed him.”
- 1 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 2 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 6 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 9 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 10 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses