Geography teacher Kato Harris tells of relief after being cleared of raping pupil at Camden School
- Credit: Archant
A Geography teacher has told of the “massive stress” of being accused of repeatedly raping a 14-year-old pupil in the classroom of his Camden school.
A jury at Isleworth Crown Court took just 26 minutes to clear Kato Harris, 37, of raping the teenager three times in the Autumn term of 2013 when she was 14 after inviting her into a classroom during the lunch break for chats.
Speaking outside court, Mr Harris spoke of the “massive stress” he has been under for the past 20 months and hoped that the “extraordinary case” would not deter victims of sexual abuse from coming forward in the future.
The teacher said: “I am grateful for the verdict of the jury today.The last 20 months have put massive stress on my family.”
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their love and care.
“I am grateful for the hundreds of letters from former colleagues, friends, past pupils who sent messages of support.I will reply to all.”
Mr Harris added: “It is my my sincere wish that this extraordinary case does not deter people who have been victims of sexual abuse coming forward in the future.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 3 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 4 West Hampstead woman's kids' clothes success story
- 5 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 6 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 7 Hampstead pharmacy under investigation over extra charges for prescriptions
- 8 'The law isn't important to us': Car tyres deflated by activists in Camden
- 9 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 10 Tributes paid to Belsize 'man of many talents' who co-founded Abacus school
“There is a beautiful world out there and for 20 months I’ve been terrified of it, and I’ve been hiding from it.”
“I’m now going into it a good man, and a free man.”