Hooded gangs target Highgate in spate of muggings
- Credit: Archant
Gangs of masked and hooded youths have rampaged through Highgate in a spate of “violent” robberies.
The first victim was on Archway Road passing the Sainsbury’s on February 2 at 4.20pm when a youngster followed him, grabbed his jumper and forced him to reveal his pin number before taking his bankcard.
In a second incident, reported in the latest safer neighbourhood newsletter, a man was followed along Cholmeley Park, when two suspects approached him. They threatened to stab him before snatching his phone. The man is said to have been saved after a have-a-go hero stepped in.
Another victim was at a bus stop in Archway Road when a gang marched him to a cash machine. Realising he had no money, they stole his oyster card and fled. A fourth victim had his bank card, pin and iPad stolen outside Highgate tube after three teens surrounded him and said if he cooperated they wouldn’t hurt him. Another victim was in Hornsey Lane when five teens threatened him at knifepoint before taking his phone after forcing him into Northwood Hall car park. A sixth victim was in Denewood Road when she noticed a man hiding in a driveway at 12.55am on February 9. He confronted her outside her house and took £5 and an oyster card.
Responding, Highgate Green Party Cllr Sian Berry said: “Crimes like these really worry our residents. We need more police to deal with this.”
You may also want to watch:
Highgate Lib Dem Cllr Liz Morris welcomed patrols around Highgate station, but added: “It’s very worrying to hear about these violent robberies. We need CCTV. There are cameras in every Haringey ward except Highgate. I continue to press the council on this. It is not acceptable.”
In reply, Haringey communities chief Cllr Eugene Ayisi said: “We work closely with the police to support them in tackling crime and anti-social behaviour. Information from the community is crucial and we encourage anyone who knows anything about these crimes to tell police.”
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 7 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 8 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 9 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
Highgate Insp Richard Berns said the incidents may be linked to a series of robberies plaguing Archway though the Met has said the culprits are hard to identify because they wear balaclavas.
The latest Met crime statistics show in Highgate there were 17 robberies last month, down from 19 in December, but up from five in November 2017.