Gang of squatters jailed for ‘industrial scale’ burglary in Golders Green
A gang of squatters have been jailed for thieving hundreds of thousands of pounds of silver and jewellery from elderly neighbours in Golders Green.
Police stumbled upon the Aladdin’s cave of valuables when they were called to investigate an allegation of domestic assault in The Ridgeway.
The gang had hoarded everything from electrical goods to a grandfather clock from elderly Jewish residents – some as old as 97 – who lived nearby.
On November 7 at Wood Green Crown Court four of the gang Florin Pacuretu, 21, Constantin Parcuretu, 23, Catain Mogos, 25, and 19-year-old Victor Furcila – all squatting in The Ridgeway – were handed out prison sentences.
Detective Constable Simon Hunt, an officer on the case, said: “This was burglary on an industrial scale, this gang undertook a remorseless assault on the residents of Barnet and Golders Green in particular.
You may also want to watch:
“The value of the property stolen during this crime spree amounted to hundreds of thousands of pounds.
“Many of the items stolen were taken from the homes of elderly Jewish residents and were of religious and sentimental value.”
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 3 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Nursery to open in former Highgate Barclays building
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 8 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 9 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
Police held a roadshow in Golders Green to try and reunite owners with their property.
Officers will be putting on another roadshow on Wednesday (November 23) at 10am in the Golders Green Safer Neighbourhood’s office in Golders Green Road.