Gang of squatters jailed for ‘industrial scale’ burglary in Golders Green
A gang of squatters have been jailed for thieving hundreds of thousands of pounds of silver and jewellery from elderly neighbours in Golders Green.
Police stumbled upon the Aladdin’s cave of valuables when they were called to investigate an allegation of domestic assault in The Ridgeway.
The gang had hoarded everything from electrical goods to a grandfather clock from elderly Jewish residents – some as old as 97 – who lived nearby.
On November 7 at Wood Green Crown Court four of the gang Florin Pacuretu, 21, Constantin Parcuretu, 23, Catain Mogos, 25, and 19-year-old Victor Furcila – all squatting in The Ridgeway – were handed out prison sentences.
Detective Constable Simon Hunt, an officer on the case, said: “This was burglary on an industrial scale, this gang undertook a remorseless assault on the residents of Barnet and Golders Green in particular.
You may also want to watch:
“The value of the property stolen during this crime spree amounted to hundreds of thousands of pounds.
“Many of the items stolen were taken from the homes of elderly Jewish residents and were of religious and sentimental value.”
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 7 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 10 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
Police held a roadshow in Golders Green to try and reunite owners with their property.
Officers will be putting on another roadshow on Wednesday (November 23) at 10am in the Golders Green Safer Neighbourhood’s office in Golders Green Road.