Gang crime officers investigate second shooting in a week
- Credit: Claire-Louise Leyland
Firearms officers raced to Prince of Wales Road in Kentish Town on Thursday evening to reports a man had been gunned down.
When police arrived just after 10pm they found a man in his twenties who had been shot in the leg.
The man was rushed to hospital, where he remains in a stable condition. Prince of Wales Road by Kentish Town West station was still cordoned off on Friday morning as police made enquiries. Police combed the pavement outside Costcutter for evidence.
Resident Latifa Khader heard the commotion yesterday evening shortly after she had gone to bed. She said: “I heard the shooting. I heard two shots but I thought it was a car backfiring.”
Officers from Trident, the Metropolitan Police’s gang crime unit, are investigating. No arrests have been made so far.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Wernberg, 22, lives on the nearby Malden Road and noticed police in the area at around 11pm. He said: “There was a lot of flashing lights and the constant sound of noise and sirens. What I really noticed was the sustained presence of police. When I woke up this morning I saw the area had been cordoned off by the police.”
He said he was suprised to hear that gangs could be behind the shooting. “In all honesty, I’m really shocked by this. I’ve always felt safe in the area and I can’t recall any shootings or fatal stabbings since I moved here.
- 1 First-time buyers fear ruin as 'dream' flats fail fire safety test
- 2 Petition to save oak and hornbeam trees in Coldfall Wood
- 3 Covid-19 surge testing in East Finchley after South African variant appears
- 4 Covid-19: Area around Royal Free one of few in UK to avoid deaths
- 5 'Paul the Paper' shuts up shop in Crouch End for the final time
- 6 Leila Roy tributes: 'We will miss her energy and her big heart'
- 7 Free Nazanin: Pressure on government rises as end of sentence approaches
- 8 Arteta concerned about Arsenal striker Nketiah
- 9 Saracens kick start Championship life with trip to Cornish Pirates
- 10 Highgate's Victorian 'pineapple' railings repaired and restored.
“I’m really surprised to hear rumours that it was gang related.”
Just last week police were called to another shooting, after gunshots were heard in Fellows Road at around 11pm on Wednesday September 21.
Claire-Louise Leyland, Belsize councillor tweeted this morning: “Prince of Wales Rd closed by Kentish Town West station this morning due to a shooting last night.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org.