Gang admits running Golders Green brothel
- Credit: Archant
Members of a Romanian gang who operated a brothel in Golders Green have been jailed.
Monika Burjan, 27, arranged transport for Romanian girls to get to Britain and once they arrived set them to work in a brothel in Finchley Road, Golders Green and eight other brothels in northwest London.
Burjan, of Finchley Road, also worked as a prostitute, while twins Cosmin and Mircea Pampu, both 34, and George Anghel, 21, arranged the premises and ensured the girls’ services were advertised.
All four pleaded guilty to controlling prostitution for gain between November 2010 and February this year.
Burjan was jailed for 18 months for her role plus another month to run concurrently, for carrying a can of CS gas spray she used to protect herself from violent punters.
You may also want to watch:
Cosmin Pampu was jailed for two years and three months while his brother was imprisoned for two years and nine months.
Anghel, said to have played a lesser role, was given an 18 month conditional discharge.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
Sentencing, Judge Anthony Leonard QC said: ‘The case against you is that together you ran nine brothels using women from Romania to work as sex workers at those addresses.
The judge told Burjan: ‘You played a significant part in this operation as well as yourself acting as a sex worker.
‘You were clearly responsible in the arrangements in getting other sex workers to come to this country.’
‘You acted as a sex worker in the brothel which you helped to control,’ said the judge.
Burjan and Cosmin Pampu, also of Finchley Road, plus Mircea Pampu and George Anghel, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to controlling prostitution for gain.