Gang admits running Golders Green brothel
- Credit: Archant
Members of a Romanian gang who operated a brothel in Golders Green have been jailed.
Monika Burjan, 27, arranged transport for Romanian girls to get to Britain and once they arrived set them to work in a brothel in Finchley Road, Golders Green and eight other brothels in northwest London.
Burjan, of Finchley Road, also worked as a prostitute, while twins Cosmin and Mircea Pampu, both 34, and George Anghel, 21, arranged the premises and ensured the girls’ services were advertised.
All four pleaded guilty to controlling prostitution for gain between November 2010 and February this year.
Burjan was jailed for 18 months for her role plus another month to run concurrently, for carrying a can of CS gas spray she used to protect herself from violent punters.
You may also want to watch:
Cosmin Pampu was jailed for two years and three months while his brother was imprisoned for two years and nine months.
Anghel, said to have played a lesser role, was given an 18 month conditional discharge.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 6 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 9 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 10 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'
Sentencing, Judge Anthony Leonard QC said: ‘The case against you is that together you ran nine brothels using women from Romania to work as sex workers at those addresses.
The judge told Burjan: ‘You played a significant part in this operation as well as yourself acting as a sex worker.
‘You were clearly responsible in the arrangements in getting other sex workers to come to this country.’
‘You acted as a sex worker in the brothel which you helped to control,’ said the judge.
Burjan and Cosmin Pampu, also of Finchley Road, plus Mircea Pampu and George Anghel, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to controlling prostitution for gain.