Gang admits running Golders Green brothel
- Credit: Archant
Members of a Romanian gang who operated a brothel in Golders Green have been jailed.
Monika Burjan, 27, arranged transport for Romanian girls to get to Britain and once they arrived set them to work in a brothel in Finchley Road, Golders Green and eight other brothels in northwest London.
Burjan, of Finchley Road, also worked as a prostitute, while twins Cosmin and Mircea Pampu, both 34, and George Anghel, 21, arranged the premises and ensured the girls’ services were advertised.
All four pleaded guilty to controlling prostitution for gain between November 2010 and February this year.
Burjan was jailed for 18 months for her role plus another month to run concurrently, for carrying a can of CS gas spray she used to protect herself from violent punters.
You may also want to watch:
Cosmin Pampu was jailed for two years and three months while his brother was imprisoned for two years and nine months.
Anghel, said to have played a lesser role, was given an 18 month conditional discharge.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 6 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 9 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 10 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
Sentencing, Judge Anthony Leonard QC said: ‘The case against you is that together you ran nine brothels using women from Romania to work as sex workers at those addresses.
The judge told Burjan: ‘You played a significant part in this operation as well as yourself acting as a sex worker.
‘You were clearly responsible in the arrangements in getting other sex workers to come to this country.’
‘You acted as a sex worker in the brothel which you helped to control,’ said the judge.
Burjan and Cosmin Pampu, also of Finchley Road, plus Mircea Pampu and George Anghel, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to controlling prostitution for gain.