Four students fined for drive-by egg attacks on Jews in Golders Green
Four university students hurled eggs and insults at Jewish pedestrians in religiously motivated drive-by attacks in Golders Green, a court heard.
In what magistrate Philip Sethil described as a “crazy” act, the quartet was found guilty of religiously aggravated harassment and fined �415 each – some of which will be paid in compensation to victims.
Aimen Mohamed, 19, from Colindale, Mohammed Khalfiam, 19, from Wembley, Haider Al-Fardan, 21, of Kingsbury, and Mohammed Jawad, 21, from Wembley, admitted to clubbing together and buying 30 eggs on December 9 last year before driving to Golders Green.
The group slowed down in Golders Green Road and shouted religious insults at four young women who were walking home before throwing an egg at one of the women, the court heard.
Shortly afterwards, one of the students hurled abuse at two 14-year-old boys in the same road. Several eggs were thrown, narrowly missing them, but splashing the boys’ shoes and trousers.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Constable Damon Cotter said: “The assault was not done on the spur of the moment. These young men planned their illegal and anti-social activity by purchasing a quantity of eggs with intent to harass Jewish people.”
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 5 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 8 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 9 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 10 'No one should be aiming to breathe air that is only just legal'