Gang targets Finchley Road Waitrose in smash and grab raid
- Credit: Archant
A gang armed with a hammer raided a supermarket in the early hours as staff worked inside.
Three men wearing motorcycle helmets smashed a huge hole in a window at the front of the Waitrose in Finchley Road before bursting in and grabbing packets of cigarettes. They then fled in the direction of Kilburn High Road.
Although staff were inside the store at the time no one came across the gang. Police confirmed no one was injured.
Police were called at 2.25am this morning following reports of a burglary.
A Waitrose spokesman said: “We are thankful no one was hurt and are grateful to our staff who have worked hard to ensure we were able to welcome customers as normal this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“The police must also be praised for their swift response and we continue to support them with their inquiries,” he added.
A Met spokeswoman said: “Detectives from the central north command unit are investigating an aggravated burglary at a commercial premises.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
“Officers from Islington will investigate.”
There have been no arrests. Enquiries continue.
Anyone with information should call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.