Gang targets Finchley Road Waitrose in smash and grab raid
- Credit: Archant
A gang armed with a hammer raided a supermarket in the early hours as staff worked inside.
Three men wearing motorcycle helmets smashed a huge hole in a window at the front of the Waitrose in Finchley Road before bursting in and grabbing packets of cigarettes. They then fled in the direction of Kilburn High Road.
Although staff were inside the store at the time no one came across the gang. Police confirmed no one was injured.
Police were called at 2.25am this morning following reports of a burglary.
A Waitrose spokesman said: “We are thankful no one was hurt and are grateful to our staff who have worked hard to ensure we were able to welcome customers as normal this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“The police must also be praised for their swift response and we continue to support them with their inquiries,” he added.
A Met spokeswoman said: “Detectives from the central north command unit are investigating an aggravated burglary at a commercial premises.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 Arsenal held by Aston Villa on final day of WSL season
- 5 Belsize cameraman remembers Jim Henson and The Muppet Show
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 8 Graham goal gives Tottenham win at Birmingham in WSL finale
- 9 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 10 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
“Officers from Islington will investigate.”
There have been no arrests. Enquiries continue.
Anyone with information should call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.