Smash-and-grab scooter gang targets BoConcept in Finchley Road – for second time this year

BoConcept on Finchley Road was broken into overnight for the second time this year. Picture: Sam Vol

BoConcept on Finchley Road was broken into overnight for the second time this year. Picture: Sam Volpe - Credit: Archant

A scooter gang smashed their way into a Finchley Road furniture store this morning and stole computer equipment – for the second time in months.

Police were today investigating the burglary at BoConcept, which is in the 02 Centre.

It is believed to have taken place at about 2am.

Mireille Baumgart, who owns the BoConcept franchise, told the Ham&High: “Of course it’s not great news. We have taken the lease of the store next to us and are in the process of expanding into that space. I think they are sensing the upheaval and breaking in because of it.

“We are installing new tighter security measures in the next few days with the help of the O2 Centre.”

Along with computers, Ms Baumgart said the burglars had made off with smaller items that they could swiftly escape with.

The store’s manager did not wish to be named but added: “It’s the second time this year. They did the same in February.

Most Read

“It’s just like the first time. I don’t know about today, but in February they smashed the door with a machete. They know what they’re doing – they left no evidence and the police didn’t find anything.

“Last time they took three computers, this time two.”

BoConcept is a Danish furniture store specialising in “design-conscious living”.

The franchise in the Finchley Road is set to become the brand’s flagship UK store with its upcoming expansion.

Ms Baumgart praised the police’s quick response,

The break-in comes weeks after a moped gang were caught on CCTV stealing £5,000 worth of perfume from a Boots store at the other end of Finchley Road, near Temple Fortune.

A police spokesman said: “We received a report a 2am on Thursday morning of the the theft of electronic equipment from the store and attended the scene.”

The police confirmed that the crime was took place overnight but said at this time no arrests have been made following either thiss raid or the one in February.