Fear as teenage schoolgirls in Hampstead are followed by stalkers
- Credit: Archant
Police are regularly patrolling the area around South Hampstead High School after two pupils were followed and harrassed by male strangers
In the most recent incident on Wednesday morning, March 11, a teenage schoolgirl was walking along Finchley Road on her way to South Hampstead’s senior school when she was approached by an unkempt man outside Cafe Nero who tried to speak to her and then followed her.
In a letter to parents, deputy head Clare Wagner describes: “She was approached by a man on the Finchley Road. He was in his late 50s, was possibly intoxicated, was unkempt..he tried to speak to the girl and followed her a short way.”
The girl reported the incident to her teachers when she arrived at the school in Maresfield Gardens, who immediately called the police.
Mrs Wagner said: “They (police) will continue to patrol the area around the school regularly. Once again, could you please tell your daughters that they must immediately call the police on 999 if they feel unsafe in any way.
You may also want to watch:
“This will ensure that the police are informed immediately and it will help them to find the culprit in the local area as quickly as possible.
“Tutors and Heads of Year will also be speaking to the girls about this tomorrow morning,” she added.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 4 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 5 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 6 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 7 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Parliament Hill viewpoint works delayed by nesting birds
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!
This follows another incident on January 21 when a South Hampstead pupil in year eight was walking to school along Maresfield Gardens when she was approached by an man of Asian appearance in his 30s who began filming her on his mobile phone.
As reported in the Ham & High, a South Hampstead spokeswoman said: “He was filming the girl with his mobile phone and then he invaded her personal space and spoke to her. She kept walking and when she got to school she went straight in and told teachers.”
Anyone with information about either incident should call 101.