Family of murdered Muswell Hill policeman appeal for information
Twenty-five years after his death his family are still desperate for answers
THE family of murdered Muswell Hill beat officer PC Blakelock have spoken out for the first time in a desperate attempt for justice, 25 years after his death.
PC Keith Blakelock was murdered on October 6, 1985, at the Broadwater Farm riots as he attempted to protect firefighters and was set upon by a machete-wielding gang.
On Tuesday night the family of PC Blakelock took part in a special BBC Crimewatch programme and reconstruction, which aimed to encourage anyone with information to come forward, making several emotional appeals.
His son Mark Blakelock said: “The reason as a family we have decided to speak for the first time collectively is because we realise that this is probably our last opportunity to get what we want, which is a conviction for what happened to dad.
“People might think that over time that might lessen but actually it becomes more frustrating as a family, especially when you see cases today which get solved very quickly, and 25 years down the line we still don’t know who killed dad.”
The reopened investigation into the officer’s death in Tottenham has seen 10 people arrested this year. It is believed 16 people called the TV show following the appeal, with numerous others sending text messages, said DS John Sweeney.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 4 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 5 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 6 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 7 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 8 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 9 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 10 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
For more, see this week’s Ham&High Broadway