Ex-Sun reporter John Kay from Hampstead Garden Suburb cleared of paying public officials
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The Sun newspaper’s former chief reporter from Hampstead Garden Suburb has been cleared of paying public officials for scoops, including titbits on the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
John Kay, 71, of Asmuns Hill, and ex-royal editor Duncan Larcombe, 39, were found not guilty of wrongdoing over their contact with two military sources after a jury deliberated for more than 48 hours at the Old Bailey.
The Sun’s executive editor Fergus Shanahan, 60, and deputy editor Geoff Webster, 55, were also cleared over allegations that they signed off payments.
Afterwards, there were emotional scenes as the journalists embraced tearful family and friends who had supported them throughout the trial.
Outside court, Larcombe called for the “witch hunt” against colleagues to end, and said he hoped that one day he would wake up from the “nightmare” he had been living since his arrest three years ago.
You may also want to watch:
Kay said: “It’s a great relief that a three-year ordeal is over. I just hope that this result bears fruit for other colleagues in a similar predicament.”
And Shanahan added that the trial had been an “terrible ordeal” for the families of all those involved as he expressed his hope that future cases would end in the “right result”.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 5 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 8 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
Kay, Shanahan and Webster were charged with conspiring with Ministry of Defence official Bettina Jordan-Barber to commit misconduct in a public office between 2004 and 2012.
During that time, Kay’s “number one military contact” pocketed £100,000 from the Sun for a stream of stories she sold to the tabloid newspaper.
Webster also faced a second count of plotting misconduct with a serving officer in the armed forces in November 2010.
Larcombe was charged with aiding and abetting former colour sergeant John Hardy, 44, to commit misconduct in a public office.
While he worked as a Sandhurst Royal Military Academy instructor between February 2006 and October 2008, Hardy was paid more than £23,700 for providing Larcombe with information on William and Harry and others on 34 occasions, the court was told.
The retired officer was found not guilty of misconduct in a public office while his wife Claire, 41, who was accused of collecting tip-off fees for her husband, was cleared of aiding and abetting him.
The journalists’ acquittals will come as yet another blow to the multimillion-pound Operation Elveden investigation into newspapers’ dealings with public officials.
Last year, a News of the World reporter, who cannot be named for legal reasons, became the first journalist to be found guilty of paying a corrupt official following a trial.
Former Sun editor Rebekah Brooks was found not guilty of signing off payments to public officials last year.
At the opening of the trial, prosecutor Michael Parroy QC said the case was all about greed - the greed of public officials prepared to sell stories they got through their work, and a press “greedy for stories”.
He said: “Tittle-tattle and gossip about the royal princes, William and Harry, had a special value, as did titbits involving salacious or embarrassing conduct - ‘splashes’ as they called them - involving the revelation of such things as affairs between serving soldiers or their civilian counterparts; a ‘love triangle’.”
He said that very often the only “interest” the stories had was “prurient, morbid or banal”.
But in their defence, Kay and Larcombe both insisted they were working in the public interest.
When he first met Jordan-Barber, Kay, who still works for the Sun but is no longer chief reporter, stressed he was not interested in “tittle tattle” and said she agreed with him that the Ministry of Defence was “a very secretive department” that would “sit on various stories which it would find embarrassing”.
He told jurors: “I think it is a case of paranoia, the thought of seeing bad stories in the media - things like equipment shortage, bullying, security issues, sex scandals and the like.”
The court heard that Jordan-Barber had Kay’s phone number entered into her mobile under the affectionate nickname “Godfather J”.
Jordan-Barber, 42, a mother-of-two who is married to a serving Army officer, admitted conspiring to commit misconduct in public office between January 2004 and January 2012.
She was jailed for 12 months at the Old Bailey in January this year but this could not be reported until the end of the trial.
Larcombe told jurors he still felt he had “done nothing wrong”, adding: “I still have to be convinced why I’m sitting here.”
Asked if he would take any of the stories back or if he considered they were in the public interest, Larcombe said: “As you can imagine, I have probably spent quite a long time looking through those stories in the last three years and I would stand by every single one. There’s not one I would change.”
Hardy was allegedly paid £4,000 for a picture of Prince William dressed up for a party in a bikini, but the retired officer, who was in Australia at the time, told jurors that it never even existed.
After discussions with royal aides, the Sun eventually ran a story with a mocked-up image alongside the headline “Willy in a Bikini”, the court heard.
Shanahan declined to give evidence but Webster told jurors he had no idea that the person Kay referred to in emails as his “number one military contact” was a public official when he signed off his requests for her payment.
He insisted: “You just wouldn’t quiz a reporter, never, not a chief reporter, on his stories. It was just not done.”
His lawyer Geoffrey Cox QC added that Jordan-Barber might as well have been an army wife passing on “pillow talk” from her husband, for all he knew.