Mohamed Aadam Mohamed killing: Teenager found guilty over murder in Mornington Crescent

A file image of the Old Bailey where Erick Ekam's trial is taking place. Picture: Nick Ansell

A file image of the Old Bailey where Erick Ekam's trial is taking place. Picture: Nick Ansell - Credit: PA Wire/PA Images

A Kentish Town teenager has been found guilty of murdering Mohamed Aadam Mohamed in Mornington Crescent last year.

Mohamed Aadam Mohamed, who was killed by Erick Ekam on September 4 2017. Picture: Met Police

Mohamed Aadam Mohamed, who was killed by Erick Ekam on September 4 2017. Picture: Met Police - Credit: Archant

Erick Ekam, 19, of Falkland Road, NW5, was found guilty by a jury at the Old Bailey of stabbing to death the 20-year-old in Hampstead Way on September 4.

He was also found guilty of two counts of possessing a knife.

The first trial into the killing was aborted over the summer.

Opening the prosecution case almost a fortnight ago, Allison Hunter QC claimed Ekam stabbed Mr Mohamed in a “ferocious” targeted attack, and chased him across Hampstead Road brandishing the bloodied weapon even as he tried to flee.


You may also want to watch:


In a statement, Mohamed’s mother Fowsioa Abdi said: “He was a young man with great ambitions and life goals.

“He had invincible confidence and would often say “just wait till I’m older, and see what I achieve.”

Most Read

“Losing a loved one is painful enough; but to hear and see the way in which he was so swiftly taken away from us makes the pain indescribable.

“We honestly have no idea where we will begin to recover from this tragedy.”

She also said the one consolation was that Ekam had been brought to justice and thanked the investigating team, the prosecution, and the emergency services and members of the public who tried in vain to save Mr Mohamed as he lay dying.

The killing was witnessed by a plain clothes police officer who was unable to save him, too.

Det Ch Insp Noel McHugh of the Let’s homicide squad said: “Ekam is a wicked, dangerous young man who went out with a knife, intent on inflicting harm.

“His mindless actions have robbed a family of a much loved son. They are a remarkable family who have lost two sons to knife crime in six months and a cousin five years ago. They have been so supportive and dignified.”

He will be sentenced tomorrow (Friday).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter