Duo jailed for more than two years after being found guilty of Camden GBH

Both Ahmed Amizane and Stuart Battams have received sentences of more than two years for their crime

Both Ahmed Amizane and Stuart Battams have received sentences of more than two years for their crimes - Credit: Met Police

Two men who carried out a sudden vicious attack, leaving their victim with life-changing injuries, have been jailed.

Ahmed Amizane, 44, and Stuart Battams, 46, both of no fixed abode, were both found guilty of grievous bodily harm at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday April 6.

Amizane has been jailed for two years and nine months, while Battams was sentenced to two years and seven months.

The court heard how on October 1 last year, Amizane and Battams were with the victim, Dennis Clarke, near Camden High Street.

The three men walked to Carlow Street where Amizane and Battams subjected Mr Clarke to an apparently unprovoked attack.

A member of the public came to Mr Clarke’s assistance and stayed with him until officers and London Ambulance Service arrived.

The victim was taken to an east London hospital where he underwent major surgery to release the pressure from a bleed on the brain.

Most Read

A large section of his skull was removed and he required 37 staples to his head.

He now wears a protective helmet, and will have further surgery later this year to replace the segment of skull.

Detectives identified Amizane from CCTV and arrested him He was found to be in possession of the victim’s mobile phone. Officers charged him with grievous bodily harm on October 7.

Battman’s was arrested on October 17 and later charged with GBH.

Det Con Colin Anderson, from the Met’s central north command, said: “Both Amizane and Battams gave no consideration to the severity of their actions and the ultimate consequences on both the quality of life for Mr Clarke, and the impact on those who witnessed it.

“They did now show any remorse for their actions during the trial.”

Det Ins Thomas Kearney added: “I am proud of the work by the first responders and detectives from Central North. With the support and quick thinking of the public and officers first on scene, Mr Clarke was able to receive the treatment he so desperately needed.

“There is no doubt that the consequences to Mr Clarke would have been more severe without this intervention.”