Drinkers at West Hampstead pub pay for funeral of stabbed barmaid
- Credit: Archant
Drinkers at a pub in West Hampstead have exceeded the fundraising target for an appeal to help repatriate the body of a former barmaid found stabbed to death at her home earlier this month.
Regulars came out in their droves to donate to a fund started by The Alliance Pub in Mill Lane to help the family of their former barmaid Natalia Czekaj.
The 34-year-old was found dead on January 6 after police were called to reports of a serious assault at her house in Edgware.
The Polish national was a popular barmaid at the Alliance and was described as a “kind and caring person” by pub staff.
After hearing her family were financially unable to pay for the return of the body, the pub began a fundraising appeal.
You may also want to watch:
A target to see them pay for the repatriation of the body was exceeded, reaching £8,400 – enough to also pay for the funeral.
In a statement the pub said: “This has truly brought to light a community full of kindness and generosity and we are truly thankful for your contributions, your kind words and all the support you have shown Natalia’s family.”
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 4 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 9 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 10 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke