Drinkers at West Hampstead pub pay for funeral of stabbed barmaid
- Credit: Archant
Drinkers at a pub in West Hampstead have exceeded the fundraising target for an appeal to help repatriate the body of a former barmaid found stabbed to death at her home earlier this month.
Regulars came out in their droves to donate to a fund started by The Alliance Pub in Mill Lane to help the family of their former barmaid Natalia Czekaj.
The 34-year-old was found dead on January 6 after police were called to reports of a serious assault at her house in Edgware.
The Polish national was a popular barmaid at the Alliance and was described as a “kind and caring person” by pub staff.
After hearing her family were financially unable to pay for the return of the body, the pub began a fundraising appeal.
You may also want to watch:
A target to see them pay for the repatriation of the body was exceeded, reaching £8,400 – enough to also pay for the funeral.
In a statement the pub said: “This has truly brought to light a community full of kindness and generosity and we are truly thankful for your contributions, your kind words and all the support you have shown Natalia’s family.”
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 5 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill