Drinkers at West Hampstead pub pay for funeral of stabbed barmaid
- Credit: Archant
Drinkers at a pub in West Hampstead have exceeded the fundraising target for an appeal to help repatriate the body of a former barmaid found stabbed to death at her home earlier this month.
Regulars came out in their droves to donate to a fund started by The Alliance Pub in Mill Lane to help the family of their former barmaid Natalia Czekaj.
The 34-year-old was found dead on January 6 after police were called to reports of a serious assault at her house in Edgware.
The Polish national was a popular barmaid at the Alliance and was described as a “kind and caring person” by pub staff.
After hearing her family were financially unable to pay for the return of the body, the pub began a fundraising appeal.
You may also want to watch:
A target to see them pay for the repatriation of the body was exceeded, reaching £8,400 – enough to also pay for the funeral.
In a statement the pub said: “This has truly brought to light a community full of kindness and generosity and we are truly thankful for your contributions, your kind words and all the support you have shown Natalia’s family.”
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 5 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home