Disabled parking blue badge fraud doubled in Camden last year
A total of 374 fake disabled blue badge parking permits were seized by Camden Council’s fraud team last year.
The figure rose significantly from the 188 counterfeit badges seized in 2010 and the false permits were registered as far away as Northern Ireland and Glasgow.
The council said some of the seized permits were fakes, others had been altered, and some motorists were using blue badges belonging to dead people.
Cllr Sue Vincent, Cabinet member for environment, said: “It is unacceptable that so many people consider the misuse of a blue badge as victimless.
“They are snatching away vital parking spaces reserved for the genuinely disabled that need convenient parking to go about their daily lives.
You may also want to watch:
“The council will continue to take the strongest possible action against anyone found to be abusing the system.”
More than 60 dishonest drivers were fined and 29 people prosecuted for blue badge fraud by the council last year.
- 1 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 2 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 6 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 7 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient