Decision not to prosecute Hampstead peer Lord Janner is ‘wholly perverse’, says police chief
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
The head of Leicestershire Police has described the decision not to prosecute suspected child sex abuser Lord Greville Janner as “wholly perverse”.
Sir Clive Loader, Leicestershire’s Police and Crime Commissioner, said his officers had carried out a two-year investigation, involving a search of Lord Janner’s home in West Heath Road, Hampstead, to bring an “overwhelming case” against the Labour peer.
The 86-year-old has been accused of abusing children in Leicestershire children’s homes in the 1970s and ‘80s.
Today, the Crown Prosecution Service announced it would not be prosecuting the 86-year-old in relation to accusations he abused children in Leicestershire children’s homes in the 1970s and ‘80s because he is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
Sir Clive said: “This decision is not just wrong – it is wholly perverse and is contrary to any notion of natural justice. I cannot believe that any right-minded person will understand or support it.
You may also want to watch:
“Leicestershire Police built what the DPP herself accepts is a case firmly indicating multiple, very serious offences involving a number of victims over a lengthy period of time.
“It therefore beggars belief that, despite that evidence, she does not believe it on balance to be in the interest of the victims, or of wider society, that this man faces justice.”
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 8 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 9 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 10 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
Lord Janner, a former Labour MP representing Leicester North West and then Leicester West for 27 years, was made a life peer on his retirement from parliament in 1997 as Baron Janner of Braunstone, in Leicestershire.