‘Dangerous’ Kentish Town man jailed for attempted rape of lone woman in Camden
- Credit: Archant
A “dangerous” Kentish Town man who followed and sexually assaulted a lone woman has been found guilty of attempted rape.
Radu-Ionut Vilculescu, 26, of Fortess Road, followed the woman, in her 30s, along Kentish Town Road.
When she ignored him, he grabbed her, pushed her against a parked van and sexually assaulted her.
As she tried to get away, Vilculescu dragged her into a nearby garden and attempted to rape her.
It was only when the woman managed to get her phone out that he ran away.
You may also want to watch:
Although she was not seriously injured, she did suffer bruising where her attacker had grabbed her.
The attack happened on December 5 last year, and Vilculescu was arrested on February 20 after a CCTV appeal.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
Detective Constable Arif Sheikh, from Camden CID, said: “This was a calculated and planned attack on a lone woman who was subjected to a violent and serious sexual assault.
“Vilculescu is a dangerous man who is now off our streets.
“Only the bravery of the woman prevented her being exposed to any further harm.”
Vilculescu will be sentenced on Friday, August 12, at Blackfriars Crown Court.