‘Dangerous’ Kentish Town man jailed for attempted rape of lone woman in Camden
- Credit: Archant
A “dangerous” Kentish Town man who followed and sexually assaulted a lone woman has been found guilty of attempted rape.
Radu-Ionut Vilculescu, 26, of Fortess Road, followed the woman, in her 30s, along Kentish Town Road.
When she ignored him, he grabbed her, pushed her against a parked van and sexually assaulted her.
As she tried to get away, Vilculescu dragged her into a nearby garden and attempted to rape her.
It was only when the woman managed to get her phone out that he ran away.
Although she was not seriously injured, she did suffer bruising where her attacker had grabbed her.
The attack happened on December 5 last year, and Vilculescu was arrested on February 20 after a CCTV appeal.
- 1 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 2 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 3 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 4 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 5 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 10 Man wanted after serious assault in Sussex 'may live in Camden'
Detective Constable Arif Sheikh, from Camden CID, said: “This was a calculated and planned attack on a lone woman who was subjected to a violent and serious sexual assault.
“Vilculescu is a dangerous man who is now off our streets.
“Only the bravery of the woman prevented her being exposed to any further harm.”
Vilculescu will be sentenced on Friday, August 12, at Blackfriars Crown Court.