Crouch End man jailed for running sexual slavery ring
- Credit: Getty Images/Hemera
A Crouch End trafficker who brought Thai women and ‘ladyboys’ into the UK and forced them into sexual slavery has been jailed for six years.
Rashid Ahmed, 68, of Hermiston Avenue, Crouch End, took regular trips to Thailand to find sex workers and rented properties to be used as brothels.
He was part of a gang with Thai madam Nattarn Budcha, 35, of Porter Street, Marylebone, and fixer Hammal Amiri, 27, of no fixed abode, who coaxed the women to the UK with the promise of jobs.
Some victims were told they would be working as masseuses and cleaners, Southwark Crown Court heard.
They would then be locked into an enormous debt bond to the traffickers.
You may also want to watch:
Budcha ran escort agency Asian Exclusive that advertised the ‘high class’ prostitutes online and collected their earnings while Amiri helped run the website.
All three were found guilty of controlling prostitution after trial last year, while Ahmed was found guilty of two counts of conspiracy to traffic persons within the UK between January 1 2011 and April 4 2013.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 6 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 9 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 10 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
Amiri and Budcha were convicted of one charge of conspiracy to traffic persons within the UK.
The girls were forced to see up to 15 clients a day and perform humiliating and painful sex acts, often to the point of injury.
When one victim told Ahmed she was in too much pain to work, he merely bought her a bottle of numbing spray.
Jailing Ahmed for six years, and Amiri and Budcha for five years, Judge David Tomlinson said: “You were part of a wide ranging agreement to traffic vulnerable women from Thailand into the UK for prostitution, you further agreed to control their prostitution for your personal gain.
“They (the girls) were required to do the most degrading work at any time in the 24 hour day.”