Crouch End man jailed for running sexual slavery ring
- Credit: Getty Images/Hemera
A Crouch End trafficker who brought Thai women and ‘ladyboys’ into the UK and forced them into sexual slavery has been jailed for six years.
Rashid Ahmed, 68, of Hermiston Avenue, Crouch End, took regular trips to Thailand to find sex workers and rented properties to be used as brothels.
He was part of a gang with Thai madam Nattarn Budcha, 35, of Porter Street, Marylebone, and fixer Hammal Amiri, 27, of no fixed abode, who coaxed the women to the UK with the promise of jobs.
Some victims were told they would be working as masseuses and cleaners, Southwark Crown Court heard.
They would then be locked into an enormous debt bond to the traffickers.
You may also want to watch:
Budcha ran escort agency Asian Exclusive that advertised the ‘high class’ prostitutes online and collected their earnings while Amiri helped run the website.
All three were found guilty of controlling prostitution after trial last year, while Ahmed was found guilty of two counts of conspiracy to traffic persons within the UK between January 1 2011 and April 4 2013.
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 7 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 8 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
Amiri and Budcha were convicted of one charge of conspiracy to traffic persons within the UK.
The girls were forced to see up to 15 clients a day and perform humiliating and painful sex acts, often to the point of injury.
When one victim told Ahmed she was in too much pain to work, he merely bought her a bottle of numbing spray.
Jailing Ahmed for six years, and Amiri and Budcha for five years, Judge David Tomlinson said: “You were part of a wide ranging agreement to traffic vulnerable women from Thailand into the UK for prostitution, you further agreed to control their prostitution for your personal gain.
“They (the girls) were required to do the most degrading work at any time in the 24 hour day.”