Coroner from Wales selected to take over from suspended coroner at St Pancras Coroner’s Court
- Credit: Archant
The coroner who presided over a high-profile inquest into the death of a teenager punched in a Greek nightclub has been appointed as the new coroner for Camden.
Mary Hassell was named as the new coroner for St Pancras Coroner’s Court on Friday after a period of 14 months when the court has been without a permanent figurehead, following the suspension of former coroner Dr Andrew Reid.
In February last year Dr Reid was suspended for hiring his unqualified wife to preside over cases and he resigned in December just before the results of a Ministry of Justice investigation were due to be announced.
Dr Shirley Radcliffe has been acting as interim coroner.
Ms Hassell will take up her position within the next few months, leaving her current role as coroner for Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan district.
In her time there, Ms Hassell presided over the high profile case of 18-year-old Jonathan Hiles, who died after being punched in a night club in Greece on the first day of his holiday.
She is also known for speaking out against the council of the Vale of Glamorgan for bad facilities and the lack of disabled access for bereaved family members at the coroner’s court building.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 7 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 8 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
Ms Hassell was interviewed along with two other applicants in April and she was named the new coroner for the inner north London district last week.
She will be covering cases in Camden, Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets at the court.
Cllr Abdul Hai, Camden cabinet member for community safety, said: “The coroner provides a vital service to the four boroughs and we look forward to working with Mary.
“I would also like to thank Shirley Radcliffe for her services as interim coroner.”