Coroner from Wales selected to take over from suspended coroner at St Pancras Coroner’s Court
- Credit: Archant
The coroner who presided over a high-profile inquest into the death of a teenager punched in a Greek nightclub has been appointed as the new coroner for Camden.
Mary Hassell was named as the new coroner for St Pancras Coroner’s Court on Friday after a period of 14 months when the court has been without a permanent figurehead, following the suspension of former coroner Dr Andrew Reid.
In February last year Dr Reid was suspended for hiring his unqualified wife to preside over cases and he resigned in December just before the results of a Ministry of Justice investigation were due to be announced.
Dr Shirley Radcliffe has been acting as interim coroner.
Ms Hassell will take up her position within the next few months, leaving her current role as coroner for Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan district.
You may also want to watch:
In her time there, Ms Hassell presided over the high profile case of 18-year-old Jonathan Hiles, who died after being punched in a night club in Greece on the first day of his holiday.
She is also known for speaking out against the council of the Vale of Glamorgan for bad facilities and the lack of disabled access for bereaved family members at the coroner’s court building.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 4 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
Ms Hassell was interviewed along with two other applicants in April and she was named the new coroner for the inner north London district last week.
She will be covering cases in Camden, Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets at the court.
Cllr Abdul Hai, Camden cabinet member for community safety, said: “The coroner provides a vital service to the four boroughs and we look forward to working with Mary.
“I would also like to thank Shirley Radcliffe for her services as interim coroner.”