Chocolate muffin man jailed for smuggling opium into UK
A PADDINGTON man has been jailed after smuggling five kilos of opium into the UK under the guise of importing chocolate muffins.
Mohammad Satari-Khavas, 41, of Westbourne Terrace, had nine clear-wrapped packages of the class-A drug in his lorry with an estimated street value of �75,000 – the rest of his vehicle was filled with chocolate muffins.
Satari-Khavas, who is a Dutch national, had been caught when he was stopped by UK Border Agency officers at Dover on March 13 as he returned from the Netherlands.
He was arrested and pleaded guilty to drug smuggling at Folkestone Magistrates’ Court where he was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison. A second man from Poland remains on bail while investigations continue.
Malcolm Bragg, from the UK Border Agency, said: “UK Border Agency officers work tirelessly 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to detect and prevent drugs from being smuggled into the UK. We are determined to prevent this terrible trade which can have such a destructive impact on the lives of so many.
You may also want to watch:
“Anyone with information about activity they suspect may be linked to drug smuggling should call our hotline on 0800 59 5000.”
Border Agency officers use a number of search techniques to combat the smuggling of drugs, firearms and stowaways including sniffer dogs, carbon dioxide detectors, heartbeat monitors and scanners.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 3 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 4 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 5 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 6 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 7 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 8 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Camden arts charity sets up award in memory of actor Helen McCrory