CCTV released of hammer-wielding moped robbers linked to six crimes in Hampstead and the Suburb
- Credit: Archant
These images show a gang of hammer-wielding robbers who have been linked to a spate of terrifying crimes across some of north London’s most affluent areas.
The stills were released today by police investigating at least six incidents in which groups of moped-riding thugs threatened victims with a hammer, which have taken place in and around Hampstead Garden Suburb and Hampstead in recent weeks.
The pictures were captured from a robbery on Friday, April 11 in Platts Lane, Hampstead.
A 57-year-old man was threatened with a hammer by four men who demanded his watch and other items of jewellery items.
They were riding two mopeds with false number plates, and wearing boiler suits and helmets that hid their faces.
You may also want to watch:
Police say there have been at least six linked offences in the N2, NW2, NW3, NW6 and NW11 postcodes, in which men on scooters have targeted wealthy individuals for their expensive watches and jewellery.
Last week the Ham&High reported that German footballer Alexander Merkel was targeted by a scooter gang at his home in Hampstead.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
The gang attempted to batter down his door by ramming into it with their mopeds.
Merkel was living at a property in Hampstead while on loan with Championship team Watford from Italian club Udinese.
Officers are now increasing patrols in Hampstead and the Suburb.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Service said: “We are warning local residents to remain vigilant and to call 999 immediately if they see anyone on mopeds acting suspiciously.”
Anyone with information on the incidents can call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.