CCTV released of hammer-wielding moped robbers linked to six crimes in Hampstead and the Suburb
- Credit: Archant
These images show a gang of hammer-wielding robbers who have been linked to a spate of terrifying crimes across some of north London’s most affluent areas.
The stills were released today by police investigating at least six incidents in which groups of moped-riding thugs threatened victims with a hammer, which have taken place in and around Hampstead Garden Suburb and Hampstead in recent weeks.
The pictures were captured from a robbery on Friday, April 11 in Platts Lane, Hampstead.
A 57-year-old man was threatened with a hammer by four men who demanded his watch and other items of jewellery items.
They were riding two mopeds with false number plates, and wearing boiler suits and helmets that hid their faces.
Police say there have been at least six linked offences in the N2, NW2, NW3, NW6 and NW11 postcodes, in which men on scooters have targeted wealthy individuals for their expensive watches and jewellery.
Last week the Ham&High reported that German footballer Alexander Merkel was targeted by a scooter gang at his home in Hampstead.
- 1 'No one hurt' as branch crashes to ground at Hampstead Heath
- 2 Cycle lanes welcomed by riders but traders express frustration
- 3 Elderly disabled woman 'racially abused' on Camden bus
- 4 Cement lorry leaks 'concrete puddle' onto Highgate road
- 5 Olivia Newton-John: From West Hampstead to worldwide fame
- 6 Liz Truss backs a fully inclusive conversion therapy ban, says MP
- 7 People flouting barbecue ban in Waterlow Park
- 8 Crouch End baker awarded Badge of the Order of Mercy for his charity work
- 9 Campaign launched for young people anxious about A Level and GSCE results
- 10 'The 214 to Provence: Where catching a London bus can take you'
The gang attempted to batter down his door by ramming into it with their mopeds.
Merkel was living at a property in Hampstead while on loan with Championship team Watford from Italian club Udinese.
Officers are now increasing patrols in Hampstead and the Suburb.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Service said: “We are warning local residents to remain vigilant and to call 999 immediately if they see anyone on mopeds acting suspiciously.”
Anyone with information on the incidents can call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.