Case dropped against man accused of assaulting PC after West Hampstead squat party
- Credit: Archant
The case against a man charged with assaulting a police officer after a raid on a West Hampstead squat has been dropped.
Michael McGirr, 29, of Castlehaven Road, Camden Town, was arrested following an incident in Maygrove Road on May 6.
He was later charged with assault of a police constable in the execution of duty and was due to go on trial at Enfield Magistrates Court on Wednesday.
Police officers were called to Maygrove Road on several occasions during the first May bank holiday weekend to reports of squatters disturbing neighbours with loud parties.
Eye-witnesses claimed there were up to 100 people staying at the property, which is a former office building, until police arrived and asked them to move on.
You may also want to watch:
At the court hearing, the prosecutor decided the case should not proceed due to a lack of evidence.
- 1 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 2 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 3 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 4 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 8 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 9 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 10 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze