Campaign for fresh inquest for Camden motorcyclist who died after high speed police chase
- Credit: Archant
A grief-stricken widow has won permission for a second inquest for her motorcyclist husband who died after being chased by the police through the streets in Camden in 1997, as she believes the original investigation was “deeply flawed.”
Onese Power, known as “Tony” to friends, died following a high speed police chase along Camden Road, when he smashed into a bollard at the corner of St Pancras Way and Royal College Street, sustaining multiple injuries on the morning of August 17 1997.
Police claimed they followed Mr Power in their car because he was speeding on his motorbike, although this was disputed at the original inquest in February 1998 and the jury recorded an open verdict.
Mrs Power argued that they started chasing her husband after they saw a black man on a “distinctive” motorbike.
He was only wearing a sleeveless white vest on his upper body at the time.
After 20 years in limbo, Ann Power, 69, has been granted permission by the Attorney General to apply to the High Court for a new inquest.
She had no legal representative at the first inquest and feels she was unprepared.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 5 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 6 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 7 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 8 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 9 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 10 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
Mrs Power was with one of her sons at their holiday home in Clacton in 1997 when the police finally tracked her down late in the evening to tell her the tragic news that her husband had been killed.
She told the Ham&High: “I never knew what shock was - but whatever it was I went into it, we all did.”
When Mr Power died at 51, he left behind his wife and three sons, aged 15, 21 and 23.
“He was a proper man, three sons, he just got on with his life”, Mrs Power described.
The family lived in Shepherd’s Bush and Mr Power, a painter and decorator, enjoyed riding, fixing and customising motorbikes.
Mrs Power, 69, has never stopped fighting for justice for the man she fell in love with as a teenager.
“We go over it all the time - all these years I’ve thought, something’s not right, something’s not right.”
The family are fundraising to go forward with their application to the High Court for the inquest.
Mrs Power wrote on her Crowd Justice page: “After twenty years my sons and I are still fighting for answers concerning my husband’s death. We passionately believe that all deaths involving the police must be investigated properly and explored in much greater detail than happened in Onese’s case.
“We are asking for help in our struggle to ensure that we secure a full and fearless fresh inquest into his death. We also want to raise public awareness about the need to ensure that, in the wake of controversial deaths, bereaved families are not left living in limbo, perhaps for the rest of their lives.”
A police spokesman said: “We are aware of the decision of the Attorney General on February 7 and will assist with any new inquest that may be held.”
The fundraising page is: crowdjustice.com/case/justice-for-onese.