Camden student, 20, convicted of preparing for terrorism in Syria
- Credit: Archant
A Camden student planning to join extremists fighting in Syria has today been convicted of preparing for acts of terrorism.
David Souaan, 20, a Serbian student living in Camden, was arrested on May 31 at Heathrow Airport as he was heading for a flight to Serbia with his mother.
Following his arrest, officers were able to examine Souaan’s phone and computer and found pictures of him, when he was believed to be in Syria, holding a gun.
Souann claimed to have been involved in fighting in Syria when he visited the region the previous December during his Christmas break from university.
Police also found he supported a number of terrorist organisations and that he wanted to return to Syria.
You may also want to watch:
Cdr Richard Walton, of the Metropolitan Police’s counter terrorism unit SO15, said: “Souaan had an active interest in Syria and was set on fighting there. I’d like to thank those around him that reported his change in behaviour and extremist views. By coming forward, we were able to prevent him travelling and engaging in terrorist activities.”
Souaan will be sentenced on February 3.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 8 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 9 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago