Camden sex attacker jailed for 1993 attack on pensioner, 86
- Credit: PA WIRE
A sex attacker who assaulted and attempted to rape an 86-year-old woman in Camden has been jailed for eight-and-a-half years.
The attack happened 23 years ago, but the conviction was secured after a cold case investigation.
Roderick Russell, 39, pleaded guilty to the crime on Tuesday at the Old Bailey.
His victim has since died.
Detective Constable Dean Grafton, of the Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command, said: “Russell truly believed he had evaded justice for this most terrifying attack against a vulnerable elderly victim who has since passed away and so was sadly not able to witness justice against her attacker.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope today’s result brings some comfort to her family, and am pleased this violent criminal will not be free to cause further harm to the public.”
The elderly victim, who died in 1996, returned to her home in Camden on January 8, 1993, having been shopping.
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 3 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 4 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 5 'Huge relief': Golders Green care home celebrates booster rollout
- 6 Punk Blythe doll worth almost £1,000 visits Camden Town
- 7 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 8 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 9 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
She was unaware that Russell was following her, and when she reached her front door he pushed her into the flat and forced her onto her bed, before trying to rape her.
Russell then indecently assaulted and strangled her as she lay defenceless.
He continued to assault her before stealing cash and jewellery from the property.
Police identified Russell thanks to DNA evidence left at the scene. He had since carried out a similar attack on an 81-year-old woman, and was in prison.