Camden officer collapsed chasing robbery suspects through Belsize Park
A female officer died chasing a pair of robbers through Belsize Park, it has emerged.
Det Con Adele Cashman, of Camden’s crime squad, was called in as backup when two suspects snatched a 59-year-old woman’s smartphone in Haverstock Hill.
The 30-year-old officer was pursuing one of the men in Belsize Park Gardens when she collapsed to the ground.
An eyewitness told the Ham&High: “I saw someone on the ground, I think they had collapsed.
“There were about 10 people around her and I didn’t want to go closer.”
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics and a doctor were called to the scene to treat DC Cashman before she was rushed to the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead. She died at 11.10pm on Monday (October 5).
A post-mortem is expected to be carried out today and police continue to investigate the circumstances of her death.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 8 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 9 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 10 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
Acting Borough Commander for Camden, Richard Tucker, said: “Adele was a much-loved and wholly dedicated officer.
“We at Camden, are completely devastated at her sudden passing and our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends at this tragically sad time.”
Commander Tony Eastaugh said: “The thoughts of everyone in the Metropolitan Police Service are very much with Adele’s family, friends and colleagues at this extremely difficult time. Adele worked on both Camden and Wandsworth boroughs and was held in high regard by all who met her - she will be sorely missed by everyone who had the privilege of working alongside her.”
Two 17-year-olds were arrested and a phone recovered. Both suspects have been quizzed and are being held in custody.
Police have cordoned off Belsize Park Gardens and a police tent has been put up.