Burglar caught breaking into Golders Green house by off-duty police is jailed
A burglar who was seen breaking into a Golders Green home by an off-duty police officer has been jailed for almost two years.
Tanacha Weekes, 36, of Loxwood Road, Tottenham, was spotted by the officer kicking a hole in the front door of a house in Hampstead Way on January 4.
The officer dialled 999 after spotting Weekes hiding in bushes and looking through the windows of the house just before he broke in.
The burglar came out with a silver box containing jewellery and watches and then repositioned his car and went back into the house.
Police arrived soon after and arrested him.
Weekes – who claimed he was in the area to visit a sauna in Finchley Road - was found guilty of burglary at Wood Green Crown Court on May 30 and sentenced to 22 months.
DC Chris Wall of Barnet CID said: “I must pay tribute to the off duty officer in this case, it was her observation that lead to Weekes’ speedy arrest and successful prosecution.
- 1 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 2 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 3 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 6 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 7 New Camden real-time pollution sensors show 'unhealthy' borough air
- 8 Academy to crack down on 'boisterous' behaviour after inspection
- 9 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
- 10 Scenic setting for stylish and comfortable Muswell Hill home
“This case shows what can be achieved if police are called promptly. I would ask the public to look out for each other and call 999 if they see people acting suspiciously.”