Burglar caught breaking into Golders Green house by off-duty police is jailed
A burglar who was seen breaking into a Golders Green home by an off-duty police officer has been jailed for almost two years.
Tanacha Weekes, 36, of Loxwood Road, Tottenham, was spotted by the officer kicking a hole in the front door of a house in Hampstead Way on January 4.
The officer dialled 999 after spotting Weekes hiding in bushes and looking through the windows of the house just before he broke in.
The burglar came out with a silver box containing jewellery and watches and then repositioned his car and went back into the house.
Police arrived soon after and arrested him.
Weekes – who claimed he was in the area to visit a sauna in Finchley Road - was found guilty of burglary at Wood Green Crown Court on May 30 and sentenced to 22 months.
DC Chris Wall of Barnet CID said: “I must pay tribute to the off duty officer in this case, it was her observation that lead to Weekes’ speedy arrest and successful prosecution.
- 1 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 2 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 3 Motorists handed fines for visiting Covid-19 car park test centre
- 4 Stolen car crashes in Kentish Town leaving woman hospitalised
- 5 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 6 Barnet, Camden and Haringey receive boost for low vaccine uptake
- 7 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 8 Hampstead Heath past and present at new exhibition of London
- 9 Pond Street potholes causing 'mini earthquake' and 'damage to homes'
- 10 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
“This case shows what can be achieved if police are called promptly. I would ask the public to look out for each other and call 999 if they see people acting suspiciously.”