Burglar caught breaking into Golders Green house by off-duty police is jailed
A burglar who was seen breaking into a Golders Green home by an off-duty police officer has been jailed for almost two years.
Tanacha Weekes, 36, of Loxwood Road, Tottenham, was spotted by the officer kicking a hole in the front door of a house in Hampstead Way on January 4.
The officer dialled 999 after spotting Weekes hiding in bushes and looking through the windows of the house just before he broke in.
The burglar came out with a silver box containing jewellery and watches and then repositioned his car and went back into the house.
Police arrived soon after and arrested him.
You may also want to watch:
Weekes – who claimed he was in the area to visit a sauna in Finchley Road - was found guilty of burglary at Wood Green Crown Court on May 30 and sentenced to 22 months.
DC Chris Wall of Barnet CID said: “I must pay tribute to the off duty officer in this case, it was her observation that lead to Weekes’ speedy arrest and successful prosecution.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 9 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
“This case shows what can be achieved if police are called promptly. I would ask the public to look out for each other and call 999 if they see people acting suspiciously.”