Builder who pinched woman’s bum glassed by boyfriend in West Hampstead bar
A boyfriend smashed a glass into the head of a Ukrainian builder for pinching his girlfriend’s bottom in a West Hampstead bar, a court heard.
Benjamin Barnes, 23, who is Spanish, rammed a half pint glass into Shepend Cahami’s face after he approached his girlfriend at the Lower Ground Bar in West End Lane and struck up conversation on April 2 last year.
The glass shattered on impact, leaving Mr Cahami with deep 2cm gashes in his face that have scarred him for life, Blackfriars Crown Court heard on March 26.
Defence counsel William Walsh said Mr Cahami had “pinched, touched or slapped” the bottom of Barnes’ girlfriend.
Judge Deva Pillay deferred sentence for six months to allow Barnes, from Albion Avenue in Clapham, to show he is not a violent man.
You may also want to watch:
But he warned Barnes could still face jail time.
“I take into account the references I have received from the many people, of mature years, if I can call them that, who say positive things about you,” the judge said.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
“It is down to you to prove that violence is not a way which you are prepared to go.”
Barnes pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent.