Builder who pinched woman’s bum glassed by boyfriend in West Hampstead bar
A boyfriend smashed a glass into the head of a Ukrainian builder for pinching his girlfriend’s bottom in a West Hampstead bar, a court heard.
Benjamin Barnes, 23, who is Spanish, rammed a half pint glass into Shepend Cahami’s face after he approached his girlfriend at the Lower Ground Bar in West End Lane and struck up conversation on April 2 last year.
The glass shattered on impact, leaving Mr Cahami with deep 2cm gashes in his face that have scarred him for life, Blackfriars Crown Court heard on March 26.
Defence counsel William Walsh said Mr Cahami had “pinched, touched or slapped” the bottom of Barnes’ girlfriend.
Judge Deva Pillay deferred sentence for six months to allow Barnes, from Albion Avenue in Clapham, to show he is not a violent man.
You may also want to watch:
But he warned Barnes could still face jail time.
“I take into account the references I have received from the many people, of mature years, if I can call them that, who say positive things about you,” the judge said.
- 1 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 4 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 5 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 6 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 7 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 8 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 9 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 10 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
“It is down to you to prove that violence is not a way which you are prepared to go.”
Barnes pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent.