Builder appears in court to deny raping and murdering Hampstead schoolgirl more than 33 years ago.
- Credit: Archant
A Camden builder today appeared in court to deny raping and murdering a 17-year-old woman in 1982.
James Warnock, 56, is accused of strangling and raping Yiannoulla Yianni at her family home in Belsize Road, South Hampstead, on August 13 1982.
Warnock, a heavily built man with a beard and glasses was dressed in a grey t-shirt to appear via video link at the Old Bailey this morning.
Members of the Yianni family were in court to hear the builder, who was 23 at the time of the schoolgirl’s death, plead not guilty to one charge of rape and another of murder.
No bail application was made and he was remanded in custody until May 20 when he will reappear via videolink for another preliminary hearing.
You may also want to watch:
The Recorder of London, judge Nicholas Hilliard QC, set a trial date for June 27 this year at the Old Bailey.
Yiannoulla went to Quintin Kynaston School, in St John’s Wood, and worked part-time at Woolworths in Finchley Road.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
A murder inquiry was launched by the Met on August 13 1982, after Yiannoulla’s parents found their daughter’s body at the family home
Detectives interviewed more than 1,000 people in connection with the case and put up a £10,000 reward for information.
Warnock was charged in January this year after being linked to the case by DNA following his arrest on separate allegations.