Brothel uncovered in leafy Muswell Hill street
Residents have expressed disbelief at the news
Residents have been left ‘in surprise and shock’ after police discovered a brothel in a quiet and leafy Muswell Hill street.
Officers from the Muswell Hill Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) swooped on a property in a row of large red brick houses in Firs Avenue last week, after a neighbour tipped them off.
Inside they found two English women who openly admitted they were working in a brothel, and claimed the parlour had been there for years.
Sergeant Julie Flemming, of the Muswell Hill SNT, said they believed they know who owns the brothel, and that they do not live in the area.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “The two women we found said they were finishing work for the day.
“They said the brothel had been there for years and that they had never had any complaints before. They were very open about it.”
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 3 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 4 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 5 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 6 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 7 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
Nationally, higher numbers of foreign women are being trafficked into the UK to work in the sex industry. However, Sgt Flemming said she did not think there was a link between this and the brothel.
Residents have expressed disbelief that a brothel that had apparently been in operation for some years has been found in their midst.
“I must say it is a complete surprise and a shock to find that among such a nice residential street there could possibly be such an establishment”, John Hadju, chairman of the Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Residents Association, said.
“It is the first time that I have ever heard of such a thing happening in this area in the 30 odd years I have lived here. I am absolutely amazed.
“I am absolutely sure that neighbours were not aware of this, otherwise I am sure that our association would have been told about it, and we would have told the police.”
However, Mr Hadju said he was sure the brothel was a ‘one off’ and that no others would reopen in the area.
Officers are in the midst of tracking down the suspected owner, although no charges are expected.
She urged anyone in the area with concerns to contact the police.