BREAKING NEWS: Arrest after three linked Muswell Hill and Highgate attacks
Police investigating three attacks on elderly men at Alexandra Palace and Queen’s Wood in less than a month have made an arrest
POLICE investigating three linked, serious attacks on elderly men in the Muswell Hill area in less than a month have made arrest.
Local officers have issued safety advice for dog-walkers and joggers who regularly use the beauty spots - Alexandra Palace and Queen’s Wood - where the three men were all attacked.
Due to the similarities between the incidents detectives are linking them, however at this stage it is not clear what the motive behind the attacks was.
On Wednesday, January 5 a 57-year-old man was found unconscious near the gates of Alexandra Park, by the junction of Alexandra Palace Way and Muswell Hill.
You may also want to watch:
The victim, who was found with �700 in cash, had sustained serious head injuries and remains in a critical condition in an east London hospital and next of kin have been informed.
It is still not known how long the man had been lying on the floor prior to being found.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
Then, on Friday, January 28. at approximately 10.00am, a 63-year-old man was attacked in Queens Wood, near Wood Vale. The victim suffered minor injuries and did not need hospital treatment.
Again, just three days later an 84-year-old man sustained serious head injuries in the same spot in Queen’s Wood. He was found by a member of the public and remains in a critical but stable condition in hospital. Next of kin have been informed.
A police spokeswoman this morning confirmed that an arrest had been made, but as yet there are no further details.
The investigation has now been taken over by the Homicide and Serious Crime Command and lead investigator Detective Chief Inspector Tim Duffield said: “One aspect of our investigation is focused on establishing how the two seriously hurt men sustained their injuries.
“We are eager to speak to anyone who has information about these incidents, particularly those who may have been in or near the parks on the days in question.
“Someone may have seen or heard something that could prove vital to the investigation.
Haringey’s Acting Borough Commander Chis Barclay sought to reassure the local community, saying: “Haringey officers are working with the council and partners to support the investigation being carried out by the Homicide and Serious Crime Command.
“Local Safer Neighbourhoods Team and Safer Parks officers are carrying out high visibility patrols and we have called on other Met units to assist with providing additional police resources to the area.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to remind people of some standard personal safety advice that we routinely ask people to think about and I would like the community in Haringey to have at the forefront of their minds at this time.”
Police have issued a series of sensible precautions that people should take, such as travelling on well-used paths, with a companion.
They also advise people to vary their routes, stay alert to what’s going on around you and tell others where you are going.
Anyone with any information, should contact the incident room on 020 8358 0400 or if they wish to remain anonymous they can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.