Brave Hampstead woman fights of motorcycle muggers
�Two motorcycle muggers got more than they bargained for when a high-flying estate agent scuppered their plans – with moves more akin to those of a secret agent.
Vivienne Harris, owner of Heathgate Estate Agents in Hampstead, was chatting with a friend next to her car on Hampstead Way on Saturday afternoon when a motorbike screeched to a halt next to her.
Before she knew it a man jumped off the back and grabbed her arm – trying to steal a stainless steel watch from her wrist.
Ms Harris said: “He grabbed me and I started kicking and flailing about so he grabbed my left leg. With my right leg I started kicking him as hard as I could between his legs.
“He dragged me along the pavement but I wouldn’t stop kicking and screaming help, help, help – there was no way he was going to get my watch from me.”
Eventually the attacker – described as skinny, eastern European with a black and white helmet – jumped up and ran back to the bike.
But his accomplice demanded he go back and try again.
- 1 Susan Jones obituary: A 'humble' Muswell Hill shop owner of 40 years
- 2 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 3 Artist with autism exhibits vibrant London scenes at Lido Cafe
- 4 North London Chorus to perform in Muswell Hill
- 5 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 6 'Someone is responsible for council spending £23m on office block'
- 7 Alexandra Palace chief executive to leave in 2022
- 8 Proposed bus changes could see Hampstead bus route 168 merged
- 9 Highgate Hill housing plans spark fears over new pub's future
- 10 Haringey Council SEND failures: 'Some parents are on antidepressants'
Instead, the mugger noticed Ms Harris’ bag laying on the seat of her soft top car – the roof was down because of the beautiful weather.
Just as he made a grab for the bag Ms Harris sprang into action again, grabbing it and screaming for help. A passing car stopped and the motorcycle muggers sped off empty handed.
Ms Harris says her heroics were automatic: “I was just so cross – I just thought how dare you do this to me? I was so angry.
“When you are in that position I just don’t think you even think – you just do what your body does, I just thought there is no way that I am putting up with this, and so I put up a jolly good fight.”
Describing herself as a “little skinny thing” who is “wiry and tough”, Ms Harris thought the robbers must have been left a little emasculated by her reaction.
“They definitely didn’t expect me to be as bolshy and aggressive as I was,” she said.
“They just thought –blonde, skinny little woman with a nice watch – let’s get her.”
However, Ms Harris did not come out unscathed. Her arms, legs and back are grazed and her wrist is battered and bruised.
She added: “I’m a bit flippant about it now but it was a horrible experience and I am shocked and shaken still, but I am ok.”
A man was arrested but released without charge.