Bookmakers raider jailed for 18 months after terrifying cashiers with fake gun during hold-up
A Maida Vale man has been jailed for 18 months for attempting to rob a Golders Green betting shop with a fake gun.
The 21-year-old, of Warlock Road, entered William Hill bookmakers on Finchley Road at 6pm on July 6 and walked up to two female cashiers at the counter.
He took out an object concealed in a grey sock and pointed it at one of the cashiers while making verbal threats and demands for cash.
Fearing they would be hurt and that the raider had a handgun in the sock, the cashiers ducked under the counter away from his view. He continued to make threats that he would shoot and smash the glass partition if they didn’t open their door. But realising he wasn’t gaining access, he left empty-handed.
Three hours later, he voluntarily handed himself in and admitted the offences.
You may also want to watch:
Officers then searched his home address, where a black and orange BB air gun was found in a grey sock.
The man was sentenced on Tuesday for attempted robbery and possession of an imitation firearm with intent.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 4 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 5 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 9 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 10 Home of the Week: Refurbished three storey, five bedroom family home for sale in Finchley