Bookmakers raider jailed for 18 months after terrifying cashiers with fake gun during hold-up
A Maida Vale man has been jailed for 18 months for attempting to rob a Golders Green betting shop with a fake gun.
The 21-year-old, of Warlock Road, entered William Hill bookmakers on Finchley Road at 6pm on July 6 and walked up to two female cashiers at the counter.
He took out an object concealed in a grey sock and pointed it at one of the cashiers while making verbal threats and demands for cash.
Fearing they would be hurt and that the raider had a handgun in the sock, the cashiers ducked under the counter away from his view. He continued to make threats that he would shoot and smash the glass partition if they didn’t open their door. But realising he wasn’t gaining access, he left empty-handed.
Three hours later, he voluntarily handed himself in and admitted the offences.
You may also want to watch:
Officers then searched his home address, where a black and orange BB air gun was found in a grey sock.
The man was sentenced on Tuesday for attempted robbery and possession of an imitation firearm with intent.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 6 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 7 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 8 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 9 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
- 10 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs