Bookmakers raider jailed for 18 months after terrifying cashiers with fake gun during hold-up
A Maida Vale man has been jailed for 18 months for attempting to rob a Golders Green betting shop with a fake gun.
The 21-year-old, of Warlock Road, entered William Hill bookmakers on Finchley Road at 6pm on July 6 and walked up to two female cashiers at the counter.
He took out an object concealed in a grey sock and pointed it at one of the cashiers while making verbal threats and demands for cash.
Fearing they would be hurt and that the raider had a handgun in the sock, the cashiers ducked under the counter away from his view. He continued to make threats that he would shoot and smash the glass partition if they didn’t open their door. But realising he wasn’t gaining access, he left empty-handed.
Three hours later, he voluntarily handed himself in and admitted the offences.
You may also want to watch:
Officers then searched his home address, where a black and orange BB air gun was found in a grey sock.
The man was sentenced on Tuesday for attempted robbery and possession of an imitation firearm with intent.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 3 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 4 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 8 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 9 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 10 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute