Belsize Park Thornton’s Budgens raid: Man charged with robbery
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged with robbery following a raid on a supermarket.
Sam Aitken, of no fixed address, appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday after the Thornton’s Budgens in Belsize Park was targeted at about 1.45pm the day before.
The Haverstock Hill store was sealed off within an hour as Flying Squad detectives investigated.
Store owner Andrew Thornton told the Ham&High: “Everybody is OK, but a bit shaken. But nobody got hurt – that’s the main thing.”
Paying tribute to the staff in the store at the time of the alleged robbery, Mr Thornton added: “They were fantastic.
“They are absolutely brilliant.”
Aitken was also charged with possession of a firearm.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 4 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 6 Camden woman in running for Miss Universe Germany
- 7 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 8 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 9 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
The 39-year-old is due to appear at Blackfriars Crown Court on April 6.