Belsize Park Thornton’s Budgens raid: Man charged with robbery
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged with robbery following a raid on a supermarket.
Sam Aitken, of no fixed address, appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday after the Thornton’s Budgens in Belsize Park was targeted at about 1.45pm the day before.
The Haverstock Hill store was sealed off within an hour as Flying Squad detectives investigated.
Store owner Andrew Thornton told the Ham&High: “Everybody is OK, but a bit shaken. But nobody got hurt – that’s the main thing.”
Paying tribute to the staff in the store at the time of the alleged robbery, Mr Thornton added: “They were fantastic.
You may also want to watch:
“They are absolutely brilliant.”
Aitken was also charged with possession of a firearm.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 5 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 6 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 In pictures: The Parkland Walk in lockdown
- 10 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke
The 39-year-old is due to appear at Blackfriars Crown Court on April 6.