Belsize Park Thornton’s Budgens raid: Man charged with robbery
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged with robbery following a raid on a supermarket.
Sam Aitken, of no fixed address, appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday after the Thornton’s Budgens in Belsize Park was targeted at about 1.45pm the day before.
The Haverstock Hill store was sealed off within an hour as Flying Squad detectives investigated.
Store owner Andrew Thornton told the Ham&High: “Everybody is OK, but a bit shaken. But nobody got hurt – that’s the main thing.”
Paying tribute to the staff in the store at the time of the alleged robbery, Mr Thornton added: “They were fantastic.
You may also want to watch:
“They are absolutely brilliant.”
Aitken was also charged with possession of a firearm.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
The 39-year-old is due to appear at Blackfriars Crown Court on April 6.