Belsize Park Thornton’s Budgens raid: Man charged with robbery
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged with robbery following a raid on a supermarket.
Sam Aitken, of no fixed address, appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday after the Thornton’s Budgens in Belsize Park was targeted at about 1.45pm the day before.
The Haverstock Hill store was sealed off within an hour as Flying Squad detectives investigated.
Store owner Andrew Thornton told the Ham&High: “Everybody is OK, but a bit shaken. But nobody got hurt – that’s the main thing.”
Paying tribute to the staff in the store at the time of the alleged robbery, Mr Thornton added: “They were fantastic.
You may also want to watch:
“They are absolutely brilliant.”
Aitken was also charged with possession of a firearm.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 5 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 6 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 7 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 8 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 9 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 10 Sabrina Francis made Camden's first Black woman mayor
The 39-year-old is due to appear at Blackfriars Crown Court on April 6.