Belsize Park Thornton’s Budgens raid: Man charged with robbery
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged with robbery following a raid on a supermarket.
Sam Aitken, of no fixed address, appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday after the Thornton’s Budgens in Belsize Park was targeted at about 1.45pm the day before.
The Haverstock Hill store was sealed off within an hour as Flying Squad detectives investigated.
Store owner Andrew Thornton told the Ham&High: “Everybody is OK, but a bit shaken. But nobody got hurt – that’s the main thing.”
Paying tribute to the staff in the store at the time of the alleged robbery, Mr Thornton added: “They were fantastic.
You may also want to watch:
“They are absolutely brilliant.”
Aitken was also charged with possession of a firearm.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
The 39-year-old is due to appear at Blackfriars Crown Court on April 6.