Arsenal footballers ambushed in Hampstead: Archway man admits attempted robbery of Ozil and Kolasinac
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
An Archway man has admitted trying to rob two Arsenal footballers in Platt’s Lane, Hampstead.
Ashley Smith, 30, pleaded guilty to attempting to steal watches from Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac on July 25.
He appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court by video link on Thursday morning where he admitted trying to ambush World Cup winner Ozil, 30, and full-back Kolasinac, 26.
Footage on social media showed Bosnian defender Kolasinac, nicknamed The Tank, chasing off two moped attackers wearing helmets and dark clothing.
The club's £350,000-a-week Germany midfielder Ozil can be seen in his black Mercedes G class jeep before he reportedly took refuge in a Turkish restaurant.
You may also want to watch:
Smith, of Archway, north London, was remanded in custody to be sentenced at the same court on November 1 by Judge Sheelagh Canavan.
Ozil and Kolasinac are back playing after missing the start of the Premier League season.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
Jordan Northover, 26, has also been charged over the incident and is due to appear before magistrates on Friday.