Armed police on patrol following attack in Russell Square
- Credit: PA WIRE
There is an increased visible police presence across London today after a woman was killed and five people were injured in an attack in Russell Square.
A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder after the knife attack last night.
Counter-terrorism officers are supporting the investigation into the incident, while Scotland Yard said early indications suggest mental health “was a factor”.
Armed officers raced to the scene in Russell Square on Wednesday night following reports that a man armed with a knife was targeting people.
A woman, believed to have been in her 60s, was pronounced dead at the scene, while two other women and three men were hurt.
You may also want to watch:
A Taser was discharged during the arrest of the suspect.
He received hospital treatment and was then taken into custody at a police station in south London.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
The Metropolitan Police’s Homicide and Major Crime Command is leading the investigation, supported by counter-terrorism officers.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: “This was a tragic incident resulting in the death of one woman and five others being injured.
“Early indications suggest that mental health was a factor in this horrific attack; however, we are keeping an open mind regarding the motive.
“As a precautionary measure, Londoners will wake up this morning to notice an increased presence on the streets of officers, including armed officers today. We would urge the public to remain calm, alert and vigilant.”