Armed police on patrol following attack in Russell Square
- Credit: PA WIRE
There is an increased visible police presence across London today after a woman was killed and five people were injured in an attack in Russell Square.
A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder after the knife attack last night.
Counter-terrorism officers are supporting the investigation into the incident, while Scotland Yard said early indications suggest mental health “was a factor”.
Armed officers raced to the scene in Russell Square on Wednesday night following reports that a man armed with a knife was targeting people.
A woman, believed to have been in her 60s, was pronounced dead at the scene, while two other women and three men were hurt.
You may also want to watch:
A Taser was discharged during the arrest of the suspect.
He received hospital treatment and was then taken into custody at a police station in south London.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 9 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 10 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
The Metropolitan Police’s Homicide and Major Crime Command is leading the investigation, supported by counter-terrorism officers.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: “This was a tragic incident resulting in the death of one woman and five others being injured.
“Early indications suggest that mental health was a factor in this horrific attack; however, we are keeping an open mind regarding the motive.
“As a precautionary measure, Londoners will wake up this morning to notice an increased presence on the streets of officers, including armed officers today. We would urge the public to remain calm, alert and vigilant.”